Notices

Any change of getting this to Maemo? They even provide source here..

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
The dropbox source for linux isn't quite what you think it is. Dropbox for linux consists of two parts: a server, which communicates with the dropbox website; and a client, the frontend part that you see. Only the client is open source. Without the closed source server being compiled for armel, we can't run dropbox.

Personally, I just use the web interface if I need to download files from my dropbox, or upload files to dropbox. Of course, this does depend on you having an Internet connection, slightly defeating the purpose. For now, you'll have to look elsewhere for file synchronization.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, the very concept of dropbox kinda relies on the user having access to the net...

the worst part of the linux support iirc, is that its aimed squarely at nautilus. in other words, one will have to make use of gnome (or at least its file manager) to benefit.

guess the weight of ubuntu is starting to show...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Try GPG + GmailFS + Gmail, or SSH + Grsync + Rsync.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tso View Post
guess the weight of ubuntu is starting to show...
The weight of Ubuntu? Redhat, Solaris and several other Linuces/Unices use GNOME, too. I think it's far more widespread than KDE which was primarily used by Europe-based distributions, e.g. SuSE (now Novell).
In the end it shouldn't be a matter of KDE vs. GNOME vs. <other>. The VFS system should be a common implementation shared by all desktop environments.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i see one fedora variant supported (in 32 and 64 bit version), but 3 ubuntu...

as for how widespread gnome is vs kde, its hard to tell.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
box.net has a fuse implementation: boxfs . Someone want to package it?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i see one fedora variant supported (in 32 and 64 bit version), but 3 ubuntu...

as for how widespread gnome is vs kde, its hard to tell.
That's because there is only one Fedora variant, Fedora. Red Hat doesn't make variants of Fedora like Canonical does with Ubuntu.

As for GNOME vs KDE distribution, the last I heard (which was entirely unofficial, mentioned in passing on someone's podcast) was somewhere in the neighborhood of between 80%/20% or 90%/10% GNOME/KDE. But it is hard to get accurate numbers, especially for desktop Linux.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Michigan, USA
Are there features that Dropbox offers that Boxfs does not that would be desirable? It seems that the UI offered by Dropbox may be interesting as well as the Syncing/SVN type tracking.

Box.net does offer an API so would users be interested in a Box.net client that has more of a GUI to it? I am thinking of trying to create something that would allow a nice online storage and file syncing experience on the tablets. I am just wondering if that is something the people would be interested in. Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Correct me if I'm wrong... I believe that boxfs only lets you get the files on your box.net account if you have an internet connection. Whereas dropbox synchronizes the files, so you have them locally AND on the web. There really isn't much of a UI offered by dropbox, they just add some stuff to the file manager to let you see if files are synchronized or not quickly.