Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Would you find such an application useful?
Poll Options
Would you find such an application useful?

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
If I may, I'll place a plug:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21182

This one lets you use the headset button
What this thread is describing would allow you to mute the entire tablet when the headphones are unplugged. I don't understand how headset-control is related...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by MattZTexasu View Post
What this thread is describing would allow you to mute the entire tablet when the headphones are unplugged. I don't understand how headset-control is related...
Good point, I guess it could be quickly ripped to do this. (Volume is stored as a gconf value). As for being related, well, technically they both are daemons (in the case of the muting one, planned to be obviously) and they both do something with the headset.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
so you're suggesting that headset-control could be modified to monitor not just the headset button, but also the presence of earphones, and then to take some action on the plug/unplug events?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

How will this effect power drain?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Oh my god please not an other daemon !

Regarding your requirements in the first post, a location (GPS/wifi in sight) and time based system might suit you better (possibly along with the headphone behaviour too). Not that one exists (yet), but it would be cool, a Killer App even, to have the device do certain things depending on time and location contstraints.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Regarding your requirements in the first post, a location (GPS/wifi in sight) and time based system might suit you better (possibly along with the headphone behaviour too). Not that one exists (yet), but it would be cool, a Killer App even, to have the device do certain things depending on time and location contstraints.
heh, that could get embarrassing quickly if it detects you in the wrong place or time.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
A clean documentation with examples for powerlaunch would be great
Yes, powerlaunch can do this easily. Edit /etc/powerlaunch/powerlaunch.conf (or make a copy to ~/.powerlaunch/powerlaunch.conf before editing). Here's a simple example to mute/unmute on headphone plugging in. You can run any other action you want on headphone plugging in.

Add "default_inherit common.headphone" to the end of main.on_init and add headphone_connected and headphone_disconnected handlers. The beginning of powerlaunch.conf would look like this:

Code:
on_init = load common; load mce; load systemui; load alarm; inherit systemui.ui; call start_apps; default_inherit common.headphone

headphone_connected = call system.volume.unmute
headphone_disconnected = call system.volume.mute

The Following User Says Thank You to austin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I'm also still waiting for GPS-enabled cellphones to do this.
I just think of profile switching when near the office / near home.

The pain is that GPS would have to be running always, so it might be better to deduct the location information also from bluetooth or wireless lan peripherals.
0.02€

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
DeviceKit is the project I meant. It uses HAL, is under construction, and will be included in Fedora 11.