Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
No; nothing here is about any superiority of Palm OS; it's about the existing apps.
You know, that is almost literally what was said about running Windows applications in the WinOS/2 environment.

Luckily that one panned out so well for OS/2...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Yes, and that's a very valid comparison, but I think the difference is that Palm OS is dying already to other competitors. If maemo dies, I can't see it being to Palm OS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
also, it seems to me that there is a diff between a open platform that allows one to install anything, including a emulator for a older proprietary platfrom if one so wish, and a locked platform that by default (one can always play the cat and mouse game called jailbreaking) will only allow what the mothership approves.

hmm, somehow im reminded about the story about RMS and the other hackers of the AI did as a response to people having fun trying to find ways to crash the server. basically they created a new command that enabled anyone to crash the server at will, basically taking the fun and leet-ness out of being able to crash said server.

basically, i suspect some out there jailbreak the iphone and modify the appletv because they are not supposed to, or even actively opposed. playing bedroom anarchists basically. kinda like underage kids drinking and smoking because they are not allowed. makes one wonder what would happen to the usage rate of pirate bay if the entertainment corps put all their content online to download, no drm or anything else to limit its use.

I traded my N810 for the ITouch. No competition -- the ITouch simply works, works well and in every sense beats the N810. I can now delete this forum from my computer as there is no need for all the buddy support as the ITouch does everything we hoped the N810 would do (but doesn't) so no support is needed. Good Bye and good riddance Nokia and your crappy N810.

ps - I wont miss the "General" either and all his a-hole comments. Now you can suffer him without me.

The Following User Says Thank You to WFT For This Useful Post:
Yeah, another fanboy's gone!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yeah, another fanboy's gone!!!!!!!!!
It does show that for many people comfort is more important than Open Source. Me, I'm just sad that it's so often an "either-or" case...

Whatever; I'm not near as concerned about open-source as about flexibility. Happens there is a strong correlation, but even if the iPhone were as open, I think the N8x0 is much more of a hackers' device, and I think I'd like it more. And I'd say that, which is a genuine tradeoff, had more to do with it than the open-source angle.

As for my fanboy comment, just my way of saying the riddance was indeed good. (I don't think the sort of *****s who think that sort of post is not a complete waste of time can realize that they're the ones leaving, not the forum, and hence "good riddance" can only refer to them!)

I accumulate gadgets like Katamari Damacy, so I'll probably end up getting an iPod Touch or iPhone at some point, to add to my 2 N800 tablets. However, I can't use an iPhone or iPod touch to make video calls from the road. I do like the size of the Touch a lot, but the inability to pair with a bluetooth keyboard and lack of flash support is a deal breaker for me right now. I am totally hooked on Nike+ for my iPod Nano. If it was added as an application for the touch, I might be pushed over the edge to add it to my arsenal of gadgets.

The whole fairplay DRM thing is moot to me because I never buy songs from iTunes anymore and I would never purchase music with DRM, especially when I can buy a used CD and rip the songs for less. I got burned by the "unauthorized computer" problem too may times with iTunes.

I have 3 PC laptops, one PC desktop, an EEE PC and a Macbook. Each excels at something that the others can't do well. The Nokia tablets are bit rougher around the edges but you get to experience a lot of cool things before they come to the more mainstream devices. But, yeah, sometimes I want to pull my hair out of my head when I have to flash the device.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
Hmm, this thread seems to have run out of gas after nearly 500 posts... but at the risk of being called a fanboy by Benson, I'm pretty close to switching from my N800 to an iPod Touch 16G. My N800 has seen intensive use for several years, and the screen is starting to get trashed. I learned a lot about LInux and open-source, and I'll use the N800 as a web-browsing tool for as long as it lasts, but after a lot of experimentation I don't really use the two advantages the N800 has over the Touch: namely, Bluetooth keyboard connectivity and VOIP telephone. Meanwhile, I'm seeing a level of development for the iPhone/Touch platform that's exciting and innovative, while Nokia has taken its huge lead in this category and let the N8xx platform languish in hobbyist/hacker limbo. Which is a fine place that I've enjoyed, but it's starting to feel a like like a museum rather than the next cool thing.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
I don't get it. Everyone says "Holy itouch does it, and n8x0 not! Crappy n8x0!"
What the hell exactly do you mean? Faster browsing? Yep, when 1 tab is opened. Awesome music player? With no i-radio support, yaya. Seamless video playback? With converted video. So what the **** is so awesome with an iPod? Ah, maybe updates for cash and crappy screen, ok.
I've used iTouch for 2 weeks and got it back cause it does nothing better than n800.
P.S.: Games on itouch are supercrap. Accelerometer steeering is uber crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post: