Active Topics

Just wanted to say thanks, the tutorials really helped me decide to get one and then helped me use it.

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth though, I don't think that they need to add a phone to the Maemo line, I love being able to access data whilst having a phone call. The iPhone and Blackberry are flawed in this way, you can't check your calendar and talk to someone. It's also the perfect size, any bigger and I might as well use my laptop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rassilon7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I too found the school useful.. sometimes just to inspire me to try doing new things I'd previously not considered, it is easy to stick to the same old apps and same old activities when people are discovering new and cool ways to do stuff (especially when there's a major s/w update).
Thanks, and please consider letting someone inherit all the data, and licensing the material using Creative Commons so that it can have a life beyond your disconnection.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks, the tutorials really helped me decide to get one and then helped me use it.

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth though, I don't think that they need to add a phone to the Maemo line, I love being able to access data whilst having a phone call. The iPhone and Blackberry are flawed in this way, you can't check your calendar and talk to someone. It's also the perfect size, any bigger and I might as well use my laptop.
not even while using a handsfree?

recently i spotted someone on tv that seemed to be juggling a pda and a blackberry at the same time, checking appointments with one hand while holding the phone for talking with the other.

my first thought, "get yourself a handsfree!"...

I don't find hands free that practical, wired versions get in the way, and BT headsets make you look like a certain type of person.

I guess what i'm saying is that I am really pleased with my purchase.

Krisse,

I'm sad to hear you're leaving. In my opinion the tablet school is very important and of very high quality. Even though I should probably be classified as a tech user (and Linux user for about as long as there's been Linux), I've read all the articles there and if a person has a problem which is covered by an article it's definitely the best place to point them to. To me, what you have created is possibly the most important and genuinely useful web site for for the platform - it immediately propels new users into adept users.

I don't think it's a given that the maemo platform / internet tablets will fail. It's just that they can't, and won't, ever reach the sales of phones. Nor do they have to, to succeed. Right now they cover a niche which will forever be out of reach of the kind of phones that most people want, because of the size. At the other side we have notebooks, which can't cover the niche either. Particularly when on the move, with no bag. But not everybody needs this product.

In fact, there's almost nothing in the whole world which can even imagine reaching the sales figures of mobile phones.. almost everyone in my country aged 7 or above now has a mobile phone, and the total sale is much higher than the actual population. It's just the wrong product to compare sales numbers to.

Unless Nokia missteps badly (and of course they could, as Sony did with their clie PDAs), I don't see why they would have to give up the product.

Whatever happens, thanks a million for the Tablet School! And I think there will still be many people wishing for more articles in the future..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
and BT headsets make you look like a certain type of person.
what kind of person would that be?
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...r-bell-launch/

practical over style i say, looks are a matter of social perception, and those change, often a bit to fast.

styles of clothings from 30+ years ago are coming back, in somewhat altered versions, for example.

basically, i have given up on fashions...

Your contributions to the community will be sorely missed.

Good Luck!

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
Thanks for the work you have done on Internet Tablet School! It was a good reference for people new to the IT.
I agree. I watch a lot of the videos before and after I bought my tablet and they were and still are very helpful.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
krisse, I mostly agree with your analysis with some exceptions (I have concluded that the recession will actually help the tablets by delaying competition) and I'm sad to read your decision.

What about migrating your useful resources to another site for someone else to manage?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
The whole point of the Internet Tablet School was to provide a place for casual users as the tablets moved into the mainstream. The trouble is that I don't think the tablets have a mainstream future in their current form, especially in light of recent events.
Krisse, your "Internet Tablet School" is mainly a "Maemo school" since you have been always concentrating on the software and how to make the most of it. Now, go back to your sentence above and change "tablet" by "Maemo" or if you want "Maemo compatible devices".

In the last months Ari Jaksi, Peter Schneider and myself have been talking about "going mainstream" consistently. Around the Maemo Summit you saw mainstream features announced such as cellular connectivity and high definition camera support. Add the OMAP3 support, changes in some technology selections and many deep changes in some frameworks and think of the huge amount of work they imply. Do you think Nokia would go ahead with all this if it wouldn't be convince of the worthiness of the investment? Also Nokia upgraded its sponsorship to the Linux Foundation from Silver to Gold, another signal to be read.

The paragraph above should be clear enough to show that at least Nokia thinks there is a bright future for Maemo. Then you have seen Peter around saying that the next device with Maemo inside will probably not be called "Internet Tablet" - but this is about marketing and labels, and what concerns you is in fact the Maemo platform you have been teaching about and the success in the market of the devices shipping with it.

If you still don't believe... you'll have to wait.

By the time the Maemo 5 beta SDK goes out maemo.org should be an independent site run fully by the community. If you (plural) would want, you could have time enough to prepare a school.maemo.org before the Maemo 5 final release. Let us know if the maemo.org team can help you on that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: