Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Read ebooks.
Watch video in awkward places (mostly re-encoded TV stuff; screen resolution is too low to appreciate a good movie).

That's it...

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Thanks everybody.

Questions:

@eliagp, @bow, @iliaden, @Karel Jansens: I tried to use the tablet as ebook, but the reading experience is not as satisfactory as I would. Do you feel your eyes somehow tired after some time of reading? How do you compare it with a paper-book?

@Aisu: are you sure you can browse everything as you do with your Vaio? I find the browsing experience really frustrating at times, the only presence of pages with complex javascripts or similar makes the microB to slow down to near dead.

@vjones777, @Karel Jansens: it seems you make a very limited usage of the tablet. Do you think the purchase was worth the money you spent for?

@lcuk: wow, you look like in love with your tablet Are you programming for it as part of your professional life or for hobby/pleasure?

@iliaden: your notes on Xournal are manually written (with stylo) or text-typed? what's faster/more useful?

@benny1967: how did you find out n810's vibration feature?

@q335r49: do you find youtube streams fluid and visible enough?

email (job), email (private), browsing the net, reading news of all kinds, using maemo mapper when travelling, omweather, vagalume (last.fm), skype sometimes, pdf reading sometimes, and the rest (the applications/stuff not mentioned already) occasionally.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post

@lcuk: wow, you look like in love with your tablet Are you programming for it as part of your professional life or for hobby/pleasure?

you could say I'm in love with it, I've wanted to write this software for a long time, but resources have been lacking for me to get a device powerful enough to build from.

This year has brought together a lot of things which make me smile continuously: linux, c, powerful touch device and a really good community to discuss and talk through things.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Here is my list.

1. Early in the morning i reach out for my n810 to check my emails and read rss feeds. This activity goes on in the restroom(one of the best use of the n 810!!}

2. Then i go to the library and all my books are in pdf. So i go onto the couches in the library and use my nokia bh 604 wireless stereo bluetotth headphones with my n95 8gb to listen to internet radio while studying using the n810.

3. The n810 is the only gps i use. On journeys i tether with my n95 -8gb and get speeds of 1mb/sec via 3g. i use that to see youtube videos on my tube.

4. I also use the n810 to watch live cricket matches which i have a subscription with a site.

5. Then there is google calender sync on my desktop

6. I always use the gtalk app to chat with my friiends and also call home with the skype client built in.

The n810 is the best in terms of portability. I just cant wait for the n900

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Thanks everybody.

Questions:

@eliagp, @bow, @iliaden, @Karel Jansens: I tried to use the tablet as ebook, but the reading experience is not as satisfactory as I would. Do you feel your eyes somehow tired after some time of reading? How do you compare it with a paper-book?
I find it a lot better than paper books: I can have 1,000 ebooks in my pocket for less weight than one regular paperback, FBReader keeps tabs on where I was in each book and I can read without ambient light.

Now, while the Itablet's screens are pretty close to print quality, some judicious use of settings is called for: I always use the Bitstream Vera Serif font, at 20 points, with 20 point indent and 9 points space above for paragraphs. Playing with the line spacing also helps a lot.

I have experienced no ill effect to my eyes (yet) and I do read a lot.

@vjones777, @Karel Jansens: it seems you make a very limited usage of the tablet. Do you think the purchase was worth the money you spent for?
Hardware-wise: Yes. As for software (mainly the supplied firmware): A sincere -- and angry -- "no".

OTOH, non-Nokia programs like FBReader and Mplayer are quite good and push the device's hardware and hardware bugs to the limit.

Would I buy the Itablets again? Absolutely not. Had there not been the promise of Pandora, I would have spent my money (reluctantly) on an Archos 605 or the new 5.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Mexico City
Primary uses for my N800

Updating my Blog: Wordpy is my favorite app. At one time I had 5 blogs and all could be updated anytime, anywhere.

MP3 player: I always thought the internal speakers were useless since I would always be using headphones. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Notes: Maemopad is one of the most-used apps here. A lifesaver more than once

PIM: GPE ToDo's and Calendar. Can't live without 'em. With the addition on GPE Summary I almost have the same functionality I had with my old Palm Tungsten. However some improvements here would be welcome.

RSS reading: With the Google Reader lite page, keeping up with my RSS feeds is great.

Web Surfing: A must. The browser is the NIT's greatest asset. Throw almost anything at it and it works. Still surprised Facebook works without a hitch.

Mail: Modest is pretty functional and suits my needs perfectly. With minor tinkering allowed to check my Zenbe account via IMAP. A godsend.

IM: Not frequent but it has been very useful at times

Skype: I actually prefer using Skype from my NIT than from my PC. With my Bluetooth headset it is more convenient than sitting at the PC.

In short: I don't know what I would do without my trusty N800. When I bought it I thought it would only be a bigger Palm but the things I can do are way beyond the capabilites of any current Palm. I am a very happy user. Let's see what the future brings.

Regards

Angel B
Mexico City

E-book reading: have finished entire books here. Had some problems with Evince but it usually does the trick.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
@benny1967: how did you find out n810's vibration feature?

I called the Nokia serviceline, a very nice young man there was pleased to help me with that.

I bought 770 then 800 for it's mobile use, so when travelling uses are

email

web browsing (although it has improved since the early days, still a bit of a pain to use)

skype calls

watching tv/film vids off removable media

music - but mainly through built-in speakers in hotel rooms etc, software is still not good enough to replace my ipod for on-the-move

pdf book reading - built in reader is suitable for me

but having had a couple of months with no travel, my 800 has been fairly un-used of late, don't find much around the house use as web browsing is nowhere near as good as laptop etc, so mainly just play my favourite game 'Blocks' - which the recent threads on the disappearing d-pads has got me worried about!!!

Thank you for asking. E-mail (Notify), RSS feeds for news and Twitter/FaceBook/LinkedIn, GoogleDoc (Cloud), GPS and Camera (Tagging meetis), Skype (Video yet).
I'm lost without my N810. I use it everywhere because it is so small and easy to carry in my shirt pocket. No laptop for me. The battery last longer and with free WiFi at Panera, library, coffee shops I'm aways near my info for work. I don't know why I have a cell phone sometimes.