Hi.

My question is, are there really no alternatives to MicroB?

The answers seems to be:
- No, there's Fennec, but... no,
- Maybe, in theory, through emulating another OS,
and
- Yes, if you switch OS distro.
I crave that unconditional 'Yes' that obviously I'm not going to get. :P But still, I'm going to ask.

Are there really no other alternatives? No ports? No adjusted version of the old Opera browser? No payware?

I crash MicroB.

Sorry if you feel this is posted in the wrong subforum, but obviously there IS another alternative to MicroB if you're using an older version of the OS :B

Last edited by volt; 2008-11-25 at 15:23.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Tear, a lightweight web browser using WebKit. It might fullfill your needs. Its reported to be faster than MicroB.

If you really require speed something like Links2, Elinks, Dillo, W3m or Lynx might cut it.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Tear/webkit seems interesting. Though, judging by the version number, I suspect I may say 'I crash Tear' long before I have it installed. :B

Much like Fennec.

How could I search and yet miss Midori?

Last edited by volt; 2008-11-25 at 16:27.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I crash MicroB.
Reproducibly? Either way, would you please consider submitting or updating bugs?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Ooh, thanks for the link to Tear

Epiphany (both the Gecko version and the Webkit version) under Easy Debian works extremely well for me. In fact, I would say it works faster than MicroB even in the chroot, so it could be quite impressive if it replaced MicroB entirely. Not sure what they did with that thing, but it is extremely heavy for a web browser that claims to be lightweight :/

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
webkit bothers me, as it depends on a hefty lib...

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Reproducibly? Either way, would you please consider submitting or updating bugs?
I just abuse the poor thing till it runs out of memory, I suspect. Will take me maybe 15 minutes with browsing something like deviantart galleries, 5+ tabs... I mean windows... and it will slow down then hang the N810.

A main reason for trying out another browser is to see if that's just how the N810 handles stress, or if another browser would act/degrade differently when trying to surf multithreaded on limited memory...

I'm an demanding Opera desktop user. I don't sit around and wait for the one browser window to load, I am used to 20+ tabs on my page bars. 5 windows is a bare minimum of what I need. And that's when I'm reading a book in parallell... :B

Where is that N900 already?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
What for? So it can be WONTFIXed or fixed in a release that won't be available for your device/will be available nobody can say when?

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have to agree, with all Maemo resources at Nokia invested into Freemantle, I find it hard to believe that anything but the most severe bugs will be addressed in Diablo apps.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-25 at 19:00. Reason: FREMANTLE NOT FREEMANTLE!!!!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Isn't Midori floating around somewhere?