Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Don't you think that no matter how upset they were at the time, most 770 users welcomed the new software and hardware since they marked clear steps forward? Fremantle is a bigger step forward and... well, we can continue this discussion when a new device with Maemo inside is announced.
Right. But about your users that were bit by having a 770 and a N810?

Seriously. I've been bit twice. There is no happiness to be found here. Just a feeling that if I were to even wait until the second version - instead of the N900, say the N910, I'll just have one year of support before I'm dumped again.

Seriously. If this is "how it is", it sucks. No excuses can be made for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Well, although the initial plan to drop support for the 770 wasn't good, the subsequent Hacker Editions (HE) for that device weren't too bad at all. Of course it would be nice to have more access to the hardware and software so we could do our own, and this is something (the more access) which has been improving with every release (and is said to be better still for Fremantle).

Regarding the N8x0, we don't have any evidence one way or the other about what the support situation will be. I'm quietly optimistic that we'll get Fremantle on our n8x0 devices, or at least a very good HE version.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
I don't have a method, I don't give a flying **** if Freemantle bug-fixes are made available for the N8x0, as I have a 770.
It was a general 'you' directed at the people trying to make the point, not necessarily directed at you.

However, your manner is irritating and unpleasant. Feeling the need to add a post essentially saying "That's the way it is." in response to someone suggesting an alternate way of doing a thing is rather hostile.

I find reading this message board rather enjoyable, but when I get to one of your "I'm looking down at you because I think I'm smarter than you" posts, it takes away from that enjoyment.
It is what it is, you felt a need to make an issue out of it so here we are. Either deal with it, ignore it or move on. If everybody wants to have a discussion, then let's have a discussion, but making it personal isn't productive for anybody.

Clearly this thread has run its course, though.

Just changing your picture to one of you smiling isn't going to change the perception one gets of you from your manner.
Oh, it was a perception ploy? News to me. I thought I was just changing the picture for the hell of it.

Clearly this thread has run its course, though.
Care to explain why instead of stating some blanket statement without an ounce of substance behind it?

Anyway, with your personal attacks aside; customer grievances are real and should be heard. Especially when the customer has a legitimate reason to air out a grievance.

I dare anybody state otherwise.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
I have looked at the omap3 a bit this weekend.
I have to say, from the perspective of a hardware platform its spectacular.

I've heard some about the new platform we are going to have.

Things which I struggle to do now become easy, the amount of raw power the omap3 puts in the palm of your hand is incredible.
being able to take a real picture with a decent camera makes my spine tingle.
I would be saddened if nokia *didn't* jump to it.
Once you have all that power you try to make use of it.

I bet the UI on Fremantle kicks ***!
I can't wait to see it!!!

Now that does not help you or I with our n8x0 devices.
We are seeing bugs marked in one product (n8x0version) as fixed on new/drastically different software version.
I gather the problem here is that the bugs are in closed source packages?

I wonder if nokia would do the honourable thing and open up the closed software packages with outstanding unfixed bugs/requests against them.

Of course, if Nokia were continuing to actively develop and support those packages in the current OS then there is no problem with them remaining closed.

But I think the community could join in to care for this software and allow Diablo to live as long as it needs with a happy user base.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Care to explain why instead of stating some blanket statement without an ounce of substance behind it?

Anyway, with your personal attacks aside; customer grievances are real and should be heard. Especially when the customer has a legitimate reason to air out a grievance.

I dare anybody state otherwise.
Exactly because of the personal attacks. Threads reduced to personal attacks don't often recover from them.

If you have issues take them up with Nokia. This forum is not Nokia.

Either way, as qgil said, we should all wait for more information before we jump to conclusions which may or may not be valid.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Howdy all,

I've been thinking lately just how lucky I've been. I had an N800 for 17 months until I broke the screen. Bought a SECOND N800. I remeber I had Chinook on the first one and awaited eagerly for Diablo. Still love it. I am thankful to GeneralAntilles, Penguinbait and a whole mess of people that have helped me and others take this platform to the level of performance. I am very sure that the people at Nokia are appreciative for the communiuty support that the tablets have enjoyed. Reading through this thread brings up some interesting thoughts about the future for myself. I figure on another two years until I wear this screen out too. By then Freemantle should be out....

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Exactly because of the personal attacks. Threads reduced to personal attacks don't often recover from them.
Then use a better tone. Your demeanor is not conducive to deep coversation as to how you are perceived.

Regardless, this forum is not about you either. This is a forum about the Nokia internet tablets; people complain at Amazon.com about stuff that's not made there. So please let's get back to the original poster and off of you.

The prospect that things will be solved in a version of the OS that's been shoehorned - think Hacker's Edition - into my N810 is not appealing to me at all.

Then use a better tone. Your demeanor is not conducive to deep coversation as to how you are perceived.
I'm not the one that started in on the personal attacks.

Regardless, this forum is not about you either.
No, it's not, so please don't try to make it about me.

This is a forum about the Nokia internet tablets; people complain at Amazon.com about stuff that's not made there. So please let's get back to the original poster and off of you.
My point was, complaining here (ranting, more like) isn't productive to your ends. Either you send your message, hopefully in a rational and polite way, where Nokia's likely to hear it (phone them, email them, mail them, whatever) or you step up to the challenge (and the offer) and get to work. Anything else is just useless, unproductive venting.

The prospect that things will be solved in a version of the OS that's been shoehorned - think Hacker's Edition - into my N810 is not appealing to me at all.
Then help the community remove the barriers to Maemo variants and get Fremantle running on the current generation of hardware.

The point everybody here seems so desperately trying to ignore is that Nokia's movement towards openness is finally getting us to where we're not beholden to them to provide support for legacy hardware. We're no longer tied to a specific kernel because of closed drivers, and no longer stuck on a specific architecture by closed-source applications and packages. We have the ability and the tools to provide our own support. So instead of uselessly ranting and bickering, why don't we step up and make it happen—step up, accept Nokia's offer, find roadblocks so they can remove them, and work together—as a community—to put together a kickass platform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I'm not the one that started in on the personal attacks.
Agreed. But your "that's the way it is" tone just didn't rub me the right way either.

No, it's not, so please don't try to make it about me.
I already knew that. I hope you do as well.
My point was, complaining here (ranting, more like) isn't productive to your ends. Either you send your message, hopefully in a rational and polite way, where Nokia's likely to hear it (phone them, email them, mail them, whatever) or you step up to the challenge (and the offer) and get to work. Anything else is just useless, unproductive venting.
I would not call it unproductive when this site is very visible to Nokia. If it were more obscure, like the aforementioned Amazon.com rants that continuously go on; then I'd agree.

But we both know that Nokia lurks this site. Not as extensive as most would like to think; however this is a place where the commonality of the ownership reigns supreme. However; the problem is that most do not see this site as a place to solve problems as much as this is the place to come when you want information, commiserate and above all find out a few things that you just will never find in a manual.

Or to follow what Fanoush is doing now and next. That's why I came here; truth be told. So with that admission, my reason for being here is more niche than the norm.

Then help the community remove the barriers to Maemo variants and get Fremantle running on the current generation of hardware.
It starts with finding out if you are alone in that regard. Read the thread... if something were started now, I'm sure people will start to support that endeavor. And to think... it all started with one disgruntled post.

The point everybody here seems so desperately trying to ignore is that Nokia's movement towards openness is finally getting us to where we're not beholden to them to provide support for legacy hardware. We're no longer tied to a specific kernel because of closed drivers, and no longer stuck on a specific architecture by closed-source applications and packages. We have the ability and the tools to provide our own support. So instead of uselessly ranting and bickering, why don't we step up and make it happen—step up, accept Nokia's offer, find roadblocks so they can remove them, and work together—as a community—to put together a kickass platform.
We. If you were a Nokia employee, I'd believe what you said. I don't think that you fully represent the forum. I know that I do not.

There is no we in "disgruntled". There is no excuse to have, in my case, a 770 and N810 - which I had the 770 for under a year before it was sent to Nokia 8 times. The N810, I've not had for even a year, and I'm now looking at the same situation as my 770; it feels the same at least that I will not be supported.

That's two years, two devices, some $600.00 USD that's being thrown away because... well, "We have a better platform..." mantra from Nokia. I can't keep wasting like that, putting LCD's into a landfill. Or spending a lot of money only to find my options with other devices is... well, just that much better in terms of long-term support. And trade-ins... a joke. If I see incentives that match my devotion to these devices, I'll bite. So far, definitely not the case.

That's why I turn to this community.

Seriously. That's what is being overlooked. Owners will start to feel shafted if there is not a community to support the devices after they're "run their course"... albeit in this case, very short runs.

The fact that rants happen; get over it. I develop software - Adobe Flex based mostly - and I get the weirdest requests and/or complaints. I just deal with it.

I just am glad that the Adobe Flex community supports me when I rant, rave, commiserate, fuss at Adobe - I have a nigh-feud with two developers, a friendly one though - or laugh at how my fixes are always upcoming.

To me, this is the same. And I'd be real upset if I got a blanket statement of "just deal with it". I'd be livid because I know how much I've invested and that doesn't make me feel good at all.

My two cents ya'll

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant