Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi everybody,
I'm Juri, from Italy.
I bought my N810 in Canada, few months ago. It's a relly nice and cool object to own and to handle, but I have big problems on using well the OS Maemo.

1- Using Maemo i don't feel so much "flexible" how using for exemple Windows on PC. I know Linux is even more better but...
I'd like to have a more customed desktop and to know how to move on the OS.

2- Here in Italy we haven't so much hotspots WI-Fi, so is quite a problem to go on Internet for me and for this I got problems on installing apps.
I don't know how to install apps on N810 without connecting the device on WI-Fi internet.
Is there a way to download entire app on my PC and then transfer and install it on N810?

3- How can I use (with Wi-Fi ad-hoc connection between PC and N810) the PC cable internet connection?

4- Is there a way to install a more "flexible" (I use the word "flexible" because of my ignorance on Linux, i know that it is even more flexible than windows) OS also to have more apps availables to use on N810?

5- I'm a graphic designer, is there a graphic software like Photoshop but more "light" for N810?

Please help me!!! I know I own a powerfull object but I'm sad because I can't use all its hardware and software capacities.
I'd like to use it everyday!!!

Oh man, I feel bad for you Juri. Without wi-fi the n810 is reduced to a nice journal or writing instrument, but then again you are a graphics designer. Reegarding #5, the best paint program I've found is mtPaint (search on this forum), but it's like MSPaint and not photoshop.

Linux is weird. Windows kind of teaches you how to use it, there are rows of toolbars and options you can play with. With Linux, it's more like, if you know what you want to do, it's probably been implemented, and a google search will turn up the answer. Windows gives you everything you ask for, but Linux sort of forced me to question what exactly I was doing, rather than just rush into the toolbars. What I want may not have been explicitly implemented, but then I have to go back and question what exactly I need. And usually, someone's already faced the same problem, and come up with a sufficient solution to a more general form.

The process is circular, and you end up learning something about yourself, like the true meaning of Christmas. If Windows is like your rich aunt that gives you a robotic dog, Linux is your hippy buddhist uncle that gives you a wooden block asks you to think about its Buddah-nature. It's kind of a philosophical journey.. vey spiritual. jk

Last edited by q335r49; 2008-12-01 at 12:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
Oh man!
You're a master!
But... if I wanted a wood block, I'd bought a wood block.
I wanna let come out the robo-dog side of N810.

Yeah, I know that the name of our object is Internet Tablet and without internet (wi-fi) it's only a tablet (alluminium or wood, it' dowsn't matter!)

So, my questions again:

is there a OS more like windows? (toolbars, only answers, etc.?)

How can I install apps without a wireless connection?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by juriaboni View Post
So, my questions again:

Hi

You can download the apps files .deb corresponding the software you want from garage.maemo.org, transfer it to N810 using the USB cable you received and installing it using Application Manager.

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/ has many valuable informations for a newbie.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the N810 should support connecting ad-hoc to a pc. then the pc needs to run some kind of connection sharing or routing service to send the N810 traffic onwards to the internet connection.

and that all depends on the os running on the computer...

1- Using Maemo i don't feel so much "flexible" how using for exemple Windows on PC. I know Linux is even more better but...
I'd like to have a more customed desktop and to know how to move on the OS.
If Maemo is too limiting, you can look into Debian and KDE on the tablet. They're a normal Linux distribution and windowing environment, so they're not as limited as Maemo. I haven't tried them on my tablet, because they seem clunky on the tablets and a poor fit for a N800 (no keyboard) like mine.

haha i definitely feel mosunderstood. probably because i rarely give advice, and most of whtat I post is me thinking out loud. ah well.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
Oh man!
You're a master!
But... if I wanted a wood block, I'd bought a wood block.
I wanna let come out the robo-dog side of N810.

Yeah, I know that the name of our object is Internet Tablet and without internet (wi-fi) it's only a tablet (alluminium or wood, it' dowsn't matter!)

So, my questions again:

is there a OS more like windows? (toolbars, only answers, etc.?)

You can download the application via any PC, then copy the files over to the nokia, then click on them there to install them. I have done exactly that in the past (I use wifi and the Application Manager on the Nokia exclusively now though)
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

Hello Juri,

Probably the best answers to your questions #1,2 and 4, is for you to spend some time at the site Francisco mentioned earlier in the thread: http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/
Time spent at this site is the fastest way to get the useful basics of the IT.

After Krisse's site, a good second step might be the thread on this msg board in which people mention (or link to) what they consider the most useful apps. I think the name is "most useful apps" or something like that.

I was lucky enough to find Krisse's tablet school soon after I bought my IT; it's such a great site. (...which reminds me I need to donate), and then once you've added a few programs and played with the IT a bit, return here and ask some questions, and do some searches; I can assure you from personal experience that anything you want to ask has almost certainly been asked and answered. After that, you'll have a better idea of what direction to go in, and what you are looking for.

In my opinion, the nokia ITs are amazingly useful and fun items, but their true magic only comes with some linux vocabulary. The IT can become virtually a full blown PC if you're willing to learn that much, so if you can dedicate the time to learning a little bit of linux, you can get the IT to do almost anything you can think of.

To not-answer but respond to your question #2, the best way to install apps, given your linux experience, is to use the IT's Application Manager, which makes installing apps so easy that you'll agree it's the way to go, even if you have some difficulty finding a wifi spot. Installing this way is a few clicks, and very quick.

Joe

The Following User Says Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
Ok guys,
thanku everyone answered me!
I feel Maemo OS too "closed" for me.
I'm not a businessman, I'm not a game player, I'm not a professionist, but at the same time I'm everything and much more, so I'd like to have a OS that let me move like on a Windows OS.

I saw on Internet the KDE.COM about the OS, I think it is really interesting for me above all for the number of apps availables for it like graphic apps!!!

So I have few others questions:

Is it possible to use it as the main OS on n810? Deleting everything about maemo.

Is it possible to use all Maemo apps on kde?

Installing kde as OS, will I lose some functions (hardware & softwares) of my n810?

Is it too slow to use on n810?

Should I use all kde apps on n810 like graphic programs, games and everything else?

Help me please!

What are the differences between kde and debian, of course on n810?

Thanku everybody!