Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Miguel de Icaza recently announced that a moonlight beta is available here.

Miguel also has some dev and media codec info here, and also this post includes a survey which requests input on which platforms should be supported with binary packages and media codecs. Google docs are blocked for me, but can some of you nice ITT members provide some feedback indicating that IT support would be nice pretty please? Thanks!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spartanNTX For This Useful Post:
No thanks.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
No thanks.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Ok, I understand all the hate here but moonlight would open the door for stuff like having netflix and blockbuster streaming which I am sure many would appreciate. IMO, it isn't any more onerous that having something like flash installed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spartanNTX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think it's good to have more options.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think it's good to have more options.
In principle: yes!

However, with some technologies (such as Silverlight and .NET, but also Flash) you can't help but wonder if maybe the world would be a better place without them.
Also, Miguel de Icaza as a person is, well... let's say "highly controversial".

So as somebody who regularly disables Flash (or doesn't install it in the first place), my personal opinion is it would not be nice to have Silverlight on the tablets. Therefore, I will not go there and ask for support on this platform.

In the end, though, you're right (as always ). It's good to have more options, as long as one of these options is "disable".

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I look at it as a matter of usage.

I hate Flash ads. Despise them. Especially rhe ones that expand to steal your screen.

But I love Flash games and some applications. I think I'll have the same feelings for Silverlight.

The evil is in the use, not the thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
As much as I hate Flash, I do think it'd be beneficial to have something to compete with it.

However, I worry that Microsoft would leverage it's pre-installed OS base to beat Flash. And once Microsoft had a (near)monopoly, they'd make it difficult to browse the web on alternate platforms.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Let us be pragmatic. While pushing for alternatives for Flash and .NET (Java is too late but might catch up again?) being able to be compatible is a big plus for users. Especially if you don't want Linux/ARM to be a niche. In the meanwhile, don't become too dependant on these proprietary technologies, and don't force the politrix upon users. Give them choice and liberty to choose the proprietary technology if they wish to.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I agree, its nice to get something like Silverlight supported on linux devices. IMHO these web technologies are what can bring open linux fully into mainstream.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:

Tags
mono, moonlight, silverlight