Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
This seems a bit of a shame to me. I think that one sign that a community surrounding a device/software/project/whatever is vibrant is the presence of unofficial, fan-run, 3rd-party sites. Making this site official will lose a bit of that.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
This seems a bit of a shame to me. I think that one sign that a community surrounding a device/software/project/whatever is vibrant is the presence of unofficial, fan-run, 3rd-party sites. Making this site official will lose a bit of that.
What do you think maemo.org is? It's certainly not an "official" anything. It's a community site, just like itT. It most certainly not an "official" Nokia site. . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
There is Competitors for different hardware (might be Maemo though) and there is Alternatives for different software for the 770/N800/N810, with sub-categories.

It makes sense someone is afraid the latter will evaporate from Talk because these (sub-)forums are not directly Maemo-related. However, there is no complaint (unlike the Competitors forum & threads), so why bother to remove them? I don't think that will happen.
Unfortunately, there are people on this thread stating or implying that Maemo is the focus of this forum. While a large percentage of posts may relate to Maemo in one way or another, there are many that don't, and one need only look at the structure of the sub-forums to see that there are other aspects of the tablets too that get attention. Furthermore, some of the posters evidently don't realize that, when this forum started, Maemo didn't even exist and most of the discussions were about aspects of the devices other than the OS.

It's very good that both Maemo and ITT have become robust communities, and I think there was some value to them being separate. It's not just the existence of sub-forums, but the likelihood of users and others who are not SW people posting and having good discussions on non-Maemo topics.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If people don't like what happens to this forum after the name change, maybe they could start another...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I don't think anyone has, or will, react drastically.

As to give it a chance, my comments that other aspects of the NIT threaten to be lost in the focus on Maemo have already been described as "late". So the idea that anyone should wait until after the forum has moved to maemo.org and is a fait accompli, before reacting, is not really practical.

I see some of the concerns expressed as drastic. The "oh noes there goes the neighborhood!" type postings are overreaction IMO.

And I think you may have misunderstood that response about your concerns being "late". I also think the worry over the focus on Maemo is wasted. I highly doubt Reggie would be making this move if it meant major changes to what the site looks like now. As far as I can tell, it all amounts to a name change in summary.

Anyway, I never said there should be NO reaction to the news before the move-- that leap is in itself, ironically, part of what I'm talking about.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I highly doubt Reggie would be making this move if it meant major changes to what the site looks like now. As far as I can tell, it all amounts to a name change in summary.
Well, except for the new maemo.org theme.

I'm a regular lurker, infrequent poster, and a fan of the Nokia Tablets and This Community that Supports Them.

First, I'd like to say thanks to Reggie, the Staff and All the Regular Commenters for making itT such a great cyber-coffeeshop for the Tablet Community - it's been great!

Second, has anyone given any thought to lobbying Nokia to Mod the N97 specifically for the Wireless/WiMax Market?

How do you think they would feel about:

- Removing the SIP
- Making Maemo5 the Base OS
- Adding Full-Spectrum Wireless/WiMax Support
- Marketing it through Data-Service Provider Plans/2-year Contracts for $149

As a business proposition, it might sound good to Nokia to 'squeeze' a Bonus-Market out of the N97 - with very little additional investment.

For us, the Computer-in-your-Hand Tablet Crowd, we get first-rate hardware and an OS We Can Work With, that will carry us through the next three years, easy.

It might be a Win-Win.

I'm just saying...

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
IMHO with any change there are opportunities. We as the members of this forum are it's life blood. A new suit of clothes doesn't change what's inside.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And I think you may have misunderstood that response about your concerns being "late". I also think the worry over the focus on Maemo is wasted. I highly doubt Reggie would be making this move if it meant major changes to what the site looks like now. As far as I can tell, it all amounts to a name change in summary.
I'm sure the move is being made with the best of intentions, but I think a year from now its going to be more than the name that has changed.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by radiofreewill View Post

How do you think they would feel about:

- Removing the SIP
- Making Maemo5 the Base OS
- Adding Full-Spectrum Wireless/WiMax Support
- Marketing it through Data-Service Provider Plans/2-year Contracts for $149

As a business proposition, it might sound good to Nokia to 'squeeze' a Bonus-Market out of the N97 - with very little additional investment.
Umm, Maemo5 is not out yet. Hopefully, the N900 will be MORE powerful than the N97. Its not gonna be easy to "squeeze" a new product out of the N97, because there still needs to be development, and WiMax would make it into a whole different product. But, the N97 is a sign of things to come...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.