Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
It will be interesting to see if they offer any non-HSPA Maemo5 devices in the $200-300 price range, with the flagship running in the $500 range most likely.
Unlikely, as it seems HSPA is assumed by some services. :\

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
$225 last year, from Amazon, but didn't get to open until Xmas.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's interesting to see people mention the $200-$300 price range so frequently. I wonder if Nokia realizes exactly how important that low-price tablet is to expanding their userbase.
It is important to me... I like the tablets but wouldn't pay more than about $250, maybe $300 in a pinch. I have an Acer "netbook" that I paid $350 for, which is about my upper range for that form factor/functionality. I can't see myself paying that much for a tablet, though.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
$399 +tax at CompUSA in Tallahassee, FL right at opening the day before they were supposed to go on sale.

Also, how about a poll?
same here , but in michigan
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

$229 @ Amazon.com Nov 2007.

There is no way I would have purchased the device for more than $250.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
N800 £150 UKP last december, best christmas present ever - it has never left my side since! I bought a 770 in August 2007 for approx £75 from expansys, and it was the biz. I said that I could not see what improvement I would get from an N800 - boy was I wrong!

I love it to bits. The low price point is very important - Everybody I know with a tablet (3 x N800, 4 x 770) bought them at around the same price.

gaz

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
It is important to me... I like the tablets but wouldn't pay more than about $250, maybe $300 in a pinch. I have an Acer "netbook" that I paid $350 for, which is about my upper range for that form factor/functionality. I can't see myself paying that much for a tablet, though.
I myself would happily pay more to keep the device pocketable. Netbook is not a apples to apples comparison.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I myself would happily pay more to keep the device pocketable. Netbook is not a apples to apples comparison.
Didn't say they were... and not really looking to argue about it... just voicing my opinion, that's all.

It's interesting to see people mention the $200-$300 price range so frequently. I wonder if Nokia realizes exactly how important that low-price tablet is to expanding their userbase.
Yes, this is solidifying my opinion that the n800 was some serious low hanging fruit. I'm guessing that many of you feel similarly that the quick introduction of the n810 created this situation. A situation that probably won't be scene again. The n810 AFAIK has maintained a reasonably tight price grouping for a gadget. So, this thread is helping me come to terms that the next "Nokia Small Linux Thingy" will not be cheap. Fine.

But I agree with The General, if Nokia prices this thing right the size of the user AND developer base could be critical mass huge. Let me put it another way: There was less-than-zero hesitation when it came to purchasing the n800; the price and features made it a no-brainer. Seriously, how many times on this forum have you read, "I bought 3" or "I should have bought 3?" I want to have that same experience with the next device. And I accept that it's going to be more expensive, but if it can have a similar price-to-feature ratio, I might not have to think about it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
$320 CAD, Nov 2007 (The "Millenium Falcon") all taxes, shipping etc. included
$220 CAD, Sept 13 2008, cash at a coffee shop.

My favorite device ever, even beats the C64 and Amiga...

I wish Nokia could aim for that sub-$400 "sweet spot" with the m5. But I seriously doubt they can keep it "in line" with previous tablet prices...