Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'm curious about this:

What are your thoughts on a Maemo App Store in the same vain as the iPhone App Store?

I for one like the idea, but I'm interested in hearing your views.

}:^)~
YARR!

Caperion

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL

A good link to be sure. Thank you for that. In doing a search to ensure I wasn't duplicating any threads, I came across the App Manager improvement discussion and skimmed it's contents. I suspect that the wiki is (at least in part) the result of that discussion.

This is a little different: I'm interested in what you (and the other members) think about an app store -- a site/program where you can purchase applications for the Maemo platform. Good idea, bad idea? Why?

YARR!

'Loose Cannon' Corrupt

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I suspect that the wiki is (at least in part) the result of that discussion.
Not really, mostly those are ideas that've been floating about in my brain for a long time that I finally got around to writing down.

This is a little different: I'm interested in what you (and the other members) think about an app store -- a site/program where you can purchase applications for the Maemo platform. Good idea, bad idea? Why?
Well, mostly a pointless idea as things stand now, since there's basically exactly one for-purchase application for Maemo. This is why I linked the wiki page, since the "application viewing, browsing, rating and installing" part of the App Store is much more interesting, for us, than the "buying" part.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Good job on the wiki BTB...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, mostly a pointless idea as things stand now, since there's basically exactly one for-purchase application for Maemo. This is why I linked the wiki page, since the "application viewing, browsing, rating and installing" part of the App Store is much more interesting, for us, than the "buying" part.
Aw, c'mon, there are at least two (I recall a map app, and a tv streaming app)..

Thanks for the input, though! Do you think that an App store will increase development on Maemo by way of monetary incentive? It seems to have worked well for the iphone, palm, and symbian platforms.

Anyone else? I'm really interested in what you think on the subject!

YARR!

Capt'n Cola

*EDIT -- fixed some grammar

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2008-12-05 at 23:07.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Forum Nokia is offering support for this commercial software.
Developers can sell its Maemo applications in the Nokia Market

It isn't an App store, but I don't see why (if there was interest and a good quantity of commercial software) the Application Manager couldn't have support to show this software.

Aw, c'mon, there are at least two (I recall a map app, and a tv streaming app)..
But is that buying the application or buying the navigation service/the streaming hardware?

Thanks for the input, though! Do you think that an App store will increase development on Maemo by way of monetary incentive? It seems to have worked well for the iphone, palm, and symbian platforms.
I suppose it might, but Linux users aren't typically very inclined towards purchasing software.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I think it is a good idea if you can find people to make the apps I have offered several times to pay for apps to be made and have never got anyone interested in it.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
http://tableteer.nokia.com/tableteer...8/os2008.xhtml is as good as it gets but there has been a lot of work recently to improve the application manager. And the existing repositories as well.

However, I'd prefer a bounty type system as it is more fair and in the spirit of FOSS.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
But is that buying the application or buying the navigation service/the streaming hardware?
Where's the emoticon for index-finger-touching-nose when you need it?

YARR!

Capada

Tags
app store, iphone, maemo