Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the n900 no matter what?
Poll Options
Will you buy the n900 no matter what?

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
My N800 goes pretty much everywhere I go, save for situations in which I don't have a backpack or some place to fit it since it doesn't fit well in my pockets. I just recently purchased a HTC Touch Pro and am completely underwhelmed with the WM6.1 experience (coming from a HTC Typhoon with WM2003)-- no devices I have had the opportunity to play with can match my N800 in terms of software quality and usability.

However, I find my tablet lacking in some areas that other devices excel: video performance (i.e. scrolling in MicroB) and 3d video acceleration.
I greatly await the arrival of the N900 or whatever it'll be called, but only if we are treated to the entire feature set promised by the Maemo guys at the conference.

Basically, if it can fit in my pocket and watch native DVD formats, Nokia gets a large chunk of money courtesy of my pocket.

I only hope it manifests its self before someone else ports Android completely to my Touch Pro... it would be much harder to convince myself to purchase another device if my phone ran Linux (and that is a HUGE selling point for me).
http://thecubed.com

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, good points. And I contacted Quim to see about getting the blog fed to maemo. I have a huge backlog of stuff to get up there...
No need to bug Quim. http://maemo.org/news/planet-maemo/aggregate_your_blog/

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No need to bug Quim. http://maemo.org/news/planet-maemo/aggregate_your_blog/
Ah! Thanks. Now I just need to find out the right filtering command for using a specific category...

EDIT: got it!

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...ng-maemo/feed/

(sorry for the OT sachin)

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-12-07 at 06:01.

The N800 has been a fantastic productivity device for me (no, I wouldn't swap it for an iphone or an ee in a pink fit). That's largely because of third-party tailoring, Addition of GPE, abiword and OpenOffice satisfies my key uses; I would never have bought it as an internet tablet only. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a new machine. However I'd shell out again if it either supported these uses better (esp. OpenOffice), or gave me new ones. The keys for those are:
.video out (vga or dvi - or even better, wireless usb)
.wimax compatibility with Korean WiBro (unfortunately this is a minority requirement )
.min 512MB RAM
Any two of the three would probably sell me; one out of three would be line-ball

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
After a few months I find the n810 to be too slow (to be expected, but part of it is a SW issue I think) and not quite stable. Leaking memory and half-baked applications (to be expected if you rely so much on community). While I like linux on my desktop, my next device will probably be windows mobile again unless... nah, they won't get their act together.

Originally Posted by petur View Post
After a few months I find the n810 to be too slow (to be expected, but part of it is a SW issue I think) and not quite stable. Leaking memory and half-baked applications (to be expected if you rely so much on community). While I like linux on my desktop, my next device will probably be windows mobile again unless... nah, they won't get their act together.
The new aigo mid runs winxp or desktop linux. I will probably be picking one up unless the n900 is insanely awesome. I can't wait to see it.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Nobody, because whoever claims to 'buy for sure' is enthusiastic based on what is known or guestimated about the specs and price.
You're so right! But I voted 'no matter what' because I really, really, really want an N900!

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'N810

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The decision to buy my next device will be made on the existence of a sustainable, developer supported, software infrastructure.

I don’t care if it is a Nokia N900, Intel MID, Pandora, iPhone running Linux, Open Source Arcos, whatever.

Hardware superiority over the N8*0 will be a given, that is the way technology progresses.

OTOH if such a platform does not emerge then I shall continue to get by with my N800. Why would I want to spend good money in order to do the same thing only marginally faster?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What, and 2-3x the performance, OpenGL, and the ability to decode 720p aren't?
It depends on what particular features a person is looking for. After all, it someone is fine with the current processor speed, and have other wants for a new device, a faster processor speed won't be compelling for them. (The reintroduction of a hard case will all but ensure I buy the N900.) And, of course, most people will have to do a cost-benefit calculation based on their disposable income and the additional features they like on the N900 over the NIT version they already own.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
The decision to buy my next device will be made on the existence of a sustainable, developer supported, software infrastructure.

I don’t care if it is a Nokia N900, Intel MID, Pandora, iPhone running Linux, Open Source Arcos, whatever.

Hardware superiority over the N8*0 will be a given, that is the way technology progresses.

OTOH if such a platform does not emerge then I shall continue to get by with my N800. Why would I want to spend good money in order to do the same thing only marginally faster?
This is exactly the way i thought when the n800 came out(i had the 770), but when i switched to the n800.... boy was i wrong!!