Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
First thing you need to do is find out if your camera connects to the tablet like a drive. Plug it in (you may need to manually put your tablet into host mode) and see if you get the file manager. If not, then you're going to need gphoto2, and things get a lot more complicated.

EDIT: The central problem with RAW photos and the tablet is that they tend to be HUGE and can be very difficult for a limited-resource device like the tablet to process.

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-05 at 23:34.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Pacific NW
Wow I could have a V8 lol

As a matter of fact, I am planning taking my cable for the first time, since I was hoping to use it if I can get hold of a tv to review the images, but gonna try the way you suggested,

You are very practical indeed. BTW did you read my other posting about the mini keyboard

I've used UFRaw and RawStudio (with Cole's Easy Debian) to view and convert raw photos. It is slow though. I just put the memory card from my camera into the external slot on the N800.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to slick204 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by slick204 View Post
...It is slow though...
I've used ImageMagick in Easy Debian to shrink a batch of big 10 megapixel camera pictures down to a more manageable size for viewing on the tablet. It took about 45 seconds per picture to process the pictures for viewing on the tablet. That adds up quickly when you're processing a hundred pictures.

Oh thanks, if is going to be too slow then I won't bother because I am going to be on the road, all I wanted was to view the images. I suspect if I shoot RAW+JPEG that I'll be able to view the JPEG images.

Actually, one thing that I have done similar to what you do, is that I convert RAW on my mac, then resized them to email size the upload to the NOkia it takes less mem and still they are displayed very sharp.

qole has given you the ideal answer, boot into Debian and run Gimp.

Search google with "Gimp Raw" and you should get some more specific info.

**Don't search google images for "Gimp Raw" you might get something else entirely.

thanks guys, I think qole gave me an excellent suggestion, but I think I may have confused you guys. I was referring just to pop the sd card and view the raw images, not interested in converting into jpeg, tiff or manipulate the images just view them.

I need to pop my sd with RAW images now and see how that is going to work.

Gimp will let you open the file, you don't have to convert it or edit it.

great that makes a difference thanks a bunch

If you want to go with Gimp, superstar gave you the right idea, the ufraw plugin for Gimp.

I just don't think there's anything out there for just viewing RAW, everything converts the raw format first, and then reads the converted image.

Tags
jpg, raw