Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Hey solca, just a question. Is there a way to update the userspace without flashing back to maemo? Im having problems flashing just the kernel in Linux, requiring me to use the complete reflash in Windows.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Hey solca, just a question. Is there a way to update the userspace without flashing back to maemo? Im having problems flashing just the kernel in Linux, requiring me to use the complete reflash in Windows.
Flashing just the maemo kernel is very easy:

sudo ./flasher -f -F RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.36-5_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin --flash-only=kernel -R

Hope that helps.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The image from Nokia would not flash from Linux. no idea why. The kernel that meizirkki posted works fine though.

The new release is good, more smooth and WiFi is (slightly) better. It crashes a little more, but the trade offs are worth it (like a home button!). Pictures, Notepad, IM still don't work. I got my GMail to sync with the crappy Email app. I wish Google would release their apps, its just wrong for them not to...

Originally Posted by solca View Post
Hi!

I upload a new kernel and userspace, it fixes some problems reported here (DNS, Home button, etc.) I made several mistakes in the N800 support, hopefully it will be closer to work on those devices.

I'm refactoring the userspace so new NITdroid releases are more in line with the new (unreleased) selector and with user persistent settings (/data). Too this refactoring will permit live updates.

In the meantime report something

Enjoy!
Kudos on an excellent release,
this is definitely becoming an useable system.
Congratz again.

Is video (apart from sound) supposed to be working?

Originally Posted by solca View Post
Hi!

I upload a new kernel and userspace, it fixes some problems reported here (DNS, Home button, etc.) I made several mistakes in the N800 support, hopefully it will be closer to work on those devices.

I'm refactoring the userspace so new NITdroid releases are more in line with the new (unreleased) selector and with user persistent settings (/data). Too this refactoring will permit live updates.

In the meantime report something

Enjoy!
Can you post the updated patch on your website? Also, the link to the userspace patch is broken.

Thanks

Application installation seems broken:
from shell, from browser crashes&reboots
Any other means?

Found a solution myself:
sudo ./adb push xxx.apk /data/app

For those interested, great android app:
http://dacp.jsharkey.org/

Last edited by jcl; 2008-12-16 at 04:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcl For This Useful Post:
Anyone had success mounted the external card? I get device not found.

12-15 Userland & Kernel update.

Seems to be working great. Update to the userland and kernel flash went off with no problems at all. I was able to use the e-mail application to connect to an IMAP server just fine, browser is working great, home button is working good as well. I noticed that if hold down the power button, I can shut it off now as well. Goes a long way to making this useful.

An interesting thing I tried was to install an application. It came up with an error stating a SD card is needed. Any ideas?

And that bring up the other point I was thinking about as well. I am running the userland off of SD card. Is that odd? I have read some posts on here which make it sound as if that should not work. Myself, I am at a loss as to how else I would have fdisked and partitioned the disk. Can anyone fill me on on that process? If I can run the userland off of internal memory, I would be interested in giving that a try as well, I just don't know how to access the disk to set it up. (I have been using the SD card in my Linux machine directly, doing any changes, then putting it back in the N810.)

When I go to system information, the device reports free "internal phone" memory at over 700Meg, but no SD card seen. Any pointers on how to do this same set up on internal memory so I can use the SD card for installing apps would be great.

And any troubleshooting that might be useful that I can do as well. This project is coming out great, thanks for the hard work.

Ok, this is good news, but its making me mad. I believed that you can't boot Android with a external card, so I partitioned the internal card. Now, it seems that it does not matter which card it is! It would be so much easier to use the external card, that is for sure...

On a different topic: For some reason, my tablet keeps rebooting while charging. I thought it was a hardware problem, but ever since I started running Android, no more reboots. Haha maemo, you can't hold me for ever!!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
The image from Nokia would not flash from Linux. no idea why. The kernel that meizirkki posted works fine though.
I think you have to unpack the FIASCO image (the .bin file) with --unpack with the flasher and then flash the kernel image file directly. I did it this way to bring back my N810 to maemo and it worked.

Tags
android, nitdroid