Active Topics

tell that to the guys that tell you to turn off your GPS inflight

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, unless you are one those guys who tells people to turn off GPS inflight, you shouldn't be bothered about whether I had bluetooth on or not.

And no, the good folks on British Airways made no comments about any of my devices at any point during the flight.

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-14 at 05:46. Reason: typo

I found that wire.com review did not recommend this inflight USB charger. So I decided to skip it and use my laptop battery to charge my N810 thru CA-100 USB charger. Hope that will last ~9-10 hrs for my international flights. I got 8 movies on my 8GB SDHC card to kill the time.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, unless you are one those guys who tells people to turn of GPS inflight, you shouldn't be bothered about whether I had bluetooth on or not.

And no, the good folks on British Airways made no comments about any of my devices at any point during the flight.
Did ya happen to search for connections while in flight?

I wonder how many people are aware that they are broadcasting WiFi when their lappy's are powered up. Even when they think they are complying with in flight rules... let alone b'tooth.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by dxitt View Post
I found that wire.com review did not recommend this inflight USB charger. So I decided to skip it and use my laptop battery to charge my N810 thru CA-100 USB charger. Hope that will last ~9-10 hrs for my international flights. I got 8 movies on my 8GB SDHC card to kill the time.
Sedation works well for me...

The airlines can allow any devices they want to. They just have to test the devices to make sure they don't affect the avionics. There is really no way bluetooth or wifi back in the cattle car can affect anything in the cockpit anyway. I've tested lots of devices including GPS for smaller aircraft, where the critters are almost touching you, and never found a problem. There are some aircraft in which cell phones turned on in the baggage compartment can give false baggage fire alerts, though, and that's a serious problem. When that light goes on, you have to land immediately to check it, and an immediate landing may not be convenient.

The airlines that don't allow GPS or other devices are simply lazy and don't care about their customers. I don't buy their tickets.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
The airlines that don't allow GPS or other devices are simply lazy and don't care about their customers. I don't buy their tickets.
I recall an engineer's report attempting to measure spurious RF emissions from a Garmin GPS, and basically showed it was very clean - far more noise from a laptop computer.

I used to have no problems using a GPS on board a plane, it wasn't until they became commonplace that airlines rules against them. As you say, it's lazyness. The only justification might be that a battery could overheat and catch fire but so far it's only been laptops that have had this problem but of course banning use of those would kill business travel.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Or just use a battery pack, it will work well on even very long (9 hours+) flights.

Can you please give us details of your battery pack?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
That I believe is the Tekkeon 1500. It's been discussed in these fora. qole's is likely the Noma version from good ole Canadian Tire. They are useful for extending battery life.

Last edited by EIPI; 2008-12-23 at 04:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I've got the Tekkeon 1550 and it works like a dream. On a side note, where do you get one of those bluetooth keyboards at? I could really go for one of those.