Active Topics

Notices

Just tried Fennec Alpha 2 that was released last night, it's A LOT faster but then it was unusable before so that's not saying much but definitely usable now :-)

Can anyone tell me how to get the on screen keyboard up to enter text into a browser window!? There is no instructions on the Fennec site and it doesn't show it on the original demo videos.

And as update to msg #1, here's a video by Madhava Enros, Fennec’s User Experience Lead.

Despite Nokia, the current tablets will soon have an up-to-date and better optimized browser alternative, whether it's Fennec or WebKit...

Last edited by Peet; 2008-12-23 at 19:36. Reason: :

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hmm, some nice extensions for it available. It works now too. Although I had some trouble using it over WLAN. Timeouts or something. 3G worked fine. It still loads slow IMO but once its there it works nice. And the zooming in is lovely. It is one, if not the primary feature of the iPhone (mobile Safari / WebKit) I like.

A Closer Look at Fennec, the Mobile Firefox Browser

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-12-24 at 17:28.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get the on screen keyboard up to enter text into a browser window!? There is no instructions on the Fennec site and it doesn't show it on the original demo videos.
It's for the n810 only, this is because the onscreen keyboard isn't implemented

Anyone else seen the problem with the sidebar (right) once activated, blanking out the right side of the screen (same size as the sidebar)?

Basically cuts off the left side of all webpages. Restart or Fennec "fixes" the problem.

Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
It's for the n810 only, this is because the onscreen keyboard isn't implemented
Bugger, can't really get the BT keyboard out every time I want to use the browser The onscreen keyboard works for the URL bar, just not for input on a webpage.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Anyone else seen the problem with the sidebar (right) once activated, blanking out the right side of the screen (same size as the sidebar)?
It's designed like that I believe, the demo vid shows that happening.

Basically cuts off the left side of all webpages. Restart or Fennec "fixes" the problem.
Surely you just drag the page back!?

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China

Same here . I found out if you try to click to zoom in when Fennec is trying to refresh the web page , you might get that problem . If you wait untill Fennec load the full page , very seldom . But yes , restart the only way to fix the problem currently .

Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post

Surely you just drag the page back!?
Unfortunately that just brings up the thumbnail pane.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China
Originally Posted by deter3 View Post
Same here . I found out if you try to click to zoom in when Fennec is trying to refresh the web page , you might get that problem . If you wait untill Fennec load the full page , very seldom . But yes , restart the only way to fix the problem currently .
If you can try to download the most updated Xulrunner dated at 25-Dec 21:00 , you might not have that problem anymore . I tested it and did not have that problem anymore .

The Following User Says Thank You to deter3 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Looks like Fennec alpha 2 just got added to the Ubuntu armel repositories!

"apt-get install fennec" sure sounds nice...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: