Active Topics

Notices

As per the subject, I've "successfully" installed Canola 2 beta 9 on my N770, running 2007HE (4.2007.26-8) from the MMC but I have a problem.
It appears to fail when "Starting Components..."
It displays the message for about 1 minute, then starts Canola with no icons.
I've not been able to do much with it since then !

I''ve attached the output from "canola -vvv".

Is running it from the "OS on the MMC" possible ?

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt canola-vvv.txt (5.2 KB, 186 views)

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
My guess from a look at the log file is that the problem here are the broken DBus-bindings for OS 2006. Did you install python for OS 2006 or for OS 2007?

The broken bindings try to resolve component names over the internet, which is absolutely brain-dead. If the device is offline, this makes the applications hang for a long time.
Canola, if I understand correctly, thinks there has been some problem loading the plugins (because nothing happened for so long) and cancel loading them. That's why you don't have icons.

As a workaround I suggest to connect the device to the internet. Then the DBus name resolution may finish earlier.

As a more complicated workaround, the Canola team could also inject some code into the module urllib2 at runtime that raises an exception before it comes to name resolution. Then the stupid DBus name resolution over internet is aborted immediately and the application continues. This would break urllib2 for the application, however, and I don't know if Canola is using this module.
This is how I got MediaBox running fine on OS 2006.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The missing fonts on OS2008 were connected with libedje and company. Try to downgrade them (see the old posts for list of files).

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Flint MI
I am also having problems installing the latest release on a 770 running OS2007HE. I have tried it with repostiories from Bora and Gregale. I have tried it from the application manager and from your web site http://openbossa.indt.org/canola/install_second_he.html. Between each attempt I run Canola clean up two to four times and then reboot. Always the same result, Canola will load (install) but when I go to run it it says loading "Canola - loading", my cpu monitor process monitor shows mmcqd running, using roughly half of the cpu time. Then nothing, the loading message goes away, the mmcqd process goes away and nothing else ever shows. In the log I see the following error: Installing canola2.0.0-beta9-maemo1
dpkg: failed to open package info file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: Input/output error
E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned as error code (2)

Is there anything else you need to know?

Santa_Matt