Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't know what you mean by "cheaper", I didn't see any prices anywhere on the page referenced by the OP... And I don't know about "smaller" either, that's a pretty small device... But my brother just bought the phidgets.com USB accelerometer, to use as part of a racing package he's trying to build... It turns out that there's no software out there currently that can use a GPS and accelerometer to log your racing performance...

EDIT: An engineering acquaintance of mine suggested buying an accelerometer from sparkfun.com, but that requires some assembly (it appears that once again I'm an idiot )

Last edited by qole; 2009-01-20 at 17:36.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qole View Post
EDIT: An engineering acquaintance of mine suggested buying an accelerometer from sparkfun.com, but that requires some assembly
Did you actually read the first post of this thread? The accelerometers you suggest to have a look at are the same ones that have been used on the tiltstick. The "requires some assembly" you mention is exactly the development and assembly of the other parts on the tiltstick which are e.g. required for USB interfacing with the tablet and sensor calibration.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Actually yes I did read the first post... But I'm not an engineer myself, so I kinda glaze over when people list part numbers...

Anyway the sparkfun.com link was an afterthought, the pre-assembled phidgets.com accelerometer was the one I am actually interested in...

For automotive, there are the 6dof (unless I can figure out the Wii):

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8190

That is the next thing I plan to add to minigpsd, but my motorcycle is in winter storage.

Last edited by tz1; 2009-01-20 at 20:36. Reason: point to the bluetooth, not ttl version

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
The sparkfun 6dof above connected via bluetooth, but now I have to write something interesting (and add it to my minigpsd logging).

Note I got the 75 deg/sec version for automotive, but you might want one that allows for faster rotation for hand use. This is about 12.5 rpm or one revolution every 5 seconds. The only time I go anywhere near this in my car is when I'm practicing driving on ice in the middle of a large parking lot.

I would love to have accelerometer logging added to minigpsd... I don't suppose you could add anything for the 2-axis phidgets.com guy in my previous post? They have an API available on their website and everything... I would love to see it blended into a gpx file or something similar.