Closed Thread
Actually, the mplayer binary for maemo works from within debian environment (after apt-get installing the necessary libraries).

-vo omapfb appears not to work, so you need to use -vo xv, which might be a bit less optimized. Also, under maemo it seems to default to -ao sdl, while under debian it defaults to -ao alsa which does not work, so you need to specify -ao sdl.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Thank-you both. Matan, you are correct on the error verbiage and I appreciate the info. I'll try keeping things separate first, but I wasn't aware of the package you mentioned qole so I am intrigued by that option as well - Thanks again!

Went with the "Replacement Desktop" option - Me Likey! I'm looking forward to editing the file menu down, as after I ponder a bit I really only use 3 or 4 Maemo apps frequently (and the MPlayer does indeed work fine). I've gotten so excited I'm reconfiguring my Redmond-based laptop to Kubuntu

I've a new user of a N810 tablet after a long experience using a Zaurus PDA. I've tried to install easy-deb-chroot, but I've an error message that the library libssl0.9.8(>=0.9.8.e-1) is missing and it is impossible to install the package. I've tried to include all the pkg sources I've found in internet (e.g http://gronmayer.com/it/) but I can't find the package...
I miss something?!?!?!
I have a N810 OS2008 (version 2.2007.51-3)
Thank you in advance for your help.
Marco

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Have you got Canola package? Im sure that is one of the dependancies.If not try installing that see if it picks it up. Also make sure you have Maemo Extras enabled in the Repositories as sometimes it is disabled by default.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by marcomra View Post
I have a N810 OS2008 (version 2.2007.51-3)
5.2008.43-7 is current. You might try backing up and upgrading.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just an update for those who are interested. I am breaking apart the easy-deb-chroot package into two packages: first, a package I'm tentatively calling "Easy Chroot," that will contain the turbo loop stuff and a generic chroot script that will mount an image file or partition, mount all the directories needed to make everything work, and then chroot into it. This package will also contain the closechroot script.

The easy-deb-chroot package will consist of the Debian installer and all of the Debian-specific stuff, like the LXDE stuff, program icons, etc.

I'm doing this because I want to be able to release a new package, "Easy Ubuntu," and I don't want to release a duplicate package. This way, both Easy Debian and Easy Ubuntu will depend on the "Easy Chroot" package. This means that packages like pipeline's isomount and maybe even projects like Mer can use the Easy Chroot package because it will be so generic.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just an update for those who are interested. I am breaking apart the easy-deb-chroot package into two packages: first, a package I'm tentatively calling "Easy Chroot," that will contain the turbo loop stuff and a generic chroot script that will mount an image file or partition, mount all the directories needed to make everything work, and then chroot into it. This package will also contain the closechroot script.

The easy-deb-chroot package will consist of the Debian installer and all of the Debian-specific stuff, like the LXDE stuff, program icons, etc.

I'm doing this because I want to be able to release a new package, "Easy Ubuntu," and I don't want to release a duplicate package. This way, both Easy Debian and Easy Ubuntu will depend on the "Easy Chroot" package. This means that packages like pipeline's isomount and maybe even projects like Mer can use the Easy Chroot package because it will be so generic.
im looking fwd to easy ubuntu.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by gonzo1082 View Post
im looking fwd to easy ubuntu.
Me too! I use ubuntu on desktop, it will be great to have the same on my tablet

Can someone tell me what the name of the Java runtime executable command is, and where it is located? If I want to run XXX.jar I can doubleclick on it in the file manager and it runs fine, but if I type "java XXX.jar" or "jre XXX.jar" at the command line it throws up an error. I went to the web pages for openjdk but couldn't find the answer.

Also, is there any hope of a java package that runs faster? The java software I want to run is Calgoo Calendar, which is a dog but is the only Linux calendar I know of that you can use offline and does 2-way synchronization with both Google Calendar and 30Boxes. It crashes under Jalimo, and while it loads under Debian it takes around 10 minutes to start up, sometimes doesn't start at all, and is slow as molasses.

Thanks, David

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice