Guys.

I think we are starting to know a bit more about the N97 now.
Is the N810 a superior "PC" to the N97?
Better browser, screen, CLI, can connect to external CD ROMS, etc.
This made me think if the Maemo 4.1/OMAP2 is so much better than Symbian S60 5th Edition/ARM11, why will Nokia want to use Symbian?
I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but I'm just trying to find the logic.
If this is the case, then the RX-51/Maemo 5 should be a Whole Lot better AND a future N-Phone will never be as good as my current N810 (for PC/Inernet stuff).
Just thinking..

(still a newbe, so no yelling please)

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I'm sorry, but what?

The reason Nokia wants to use Symbian is because it is more "mature" than Maemo.

N97 is better "hardware wise" than N810, but software is up to the user. RX-51 is (IMO) going to be much better than anything, but that should be obvious.

I can't understand how "future N-Phone will never be as good as my current N810," because that is like saying a Windows 7 Quad Core will never be as good as my 30mhz DOS Box...

I'm not sure what you were trying to say, sorry...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

So, it seems your saying the N97 (future N-Phone) with Symbian and ARM11 is like the quad-core and the N810 is like the DOS Box? I must have gotten this completely backwards.
You also said the RX-51 should be better than anything (including the N97), even though it's simular to the N810?
The point is, should I even consider the N97 over a N810 if I do lots of Internet/PC work?
Thanks!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I know it's like comparing apples and oranges
You said it.

A more worthy comparison will be the RX-51 vs. N97.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You said it.

A more worthy comparison will be the RX-51 vs. N97.
Please elaborate. People seem to think very highly of the N97 (with the Symbian/ARM11 and all). Maybe the N97 is a better MID than the N810.
Thanks!

Last edited by enewmen; 2009-01-30 at 08:22.

Ok.
After re-reading the thread. It seems the order of capability is something like this for devices used as a MID:

RX-51 > N97 > N810 > N96/G810

Thanks for the help guys
I was just a little confused that a N97 can be between two Maemo devices.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by enewmen View Post
Ok.
After re-reading the thread. It seems the order of capability is something like this for devices used as a MID:

RX-51 > N97 > N810 > N96/G810

Thanks for the help guys
I was just a little confused that a N97 can be between two Maemo devices.
Comparisons are difficult because both the N97 and the RX-51 haven't been published yet, so I would leave the list in:

N810 > any S60 phone or more general Maemo 4 > S60

Obviously it's my opinion having used both operating systems in very similar hardware.

I need a Maemo phone

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
the problem with comparing hardware has been difficult forever.
Just look at the current consoles, looking at hardware specs you would dismiss the wii as being underpowered and useless, but the numbers and ratings and everything shows its possible.

\we have had computers now for many years with much less power than we have now and have raved about numerous machines with MUCH less horsepower than we currently have in the palm of our hands.

Its not the size of it, its what you do with it.

openness and community (and a hardware keyboard) are what brought me to this platform, not specific cpu or performance specs.
having said that, the rx-51 looks to tick all the right boxes and will give us the extra boost to have best of all worlds

Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Comparisons are difficult because both the N97 and the RX-51 haven't been published yet, so I would leave the list in:

N810 > any S60 phone or more general Maemo 4 > S60

Obviously it's my opinion having used both operating systems in very similar hardware.

I need a Maemo phone
Thanks for the opinion. I understand it's difficult to compare apples to oranges based on hardware and software combined. So, the subjective conclusion is helpful.
This makes me think I shouldn't even consider any S60 for MID work if the N810 is better - The RX-51 is better still.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
looking at hardware specs you would dismiss the wii as being underpowered and useless, but the numbers and ratings and everything shows its possible.
Ah, but it IS underpowered and useless... unless you like playing the PS2 equivalent of virtual skeeball.

Personally, I think the Wii's sales are highly impressive, but like laptops vs netbooks, it's a sign of the further commoditization of consoles and a bad sign regarding a future stagnation of innovation in the video gaming industry. (Look at the NPDs and see how many Wii titles are selling vs. Wii consoles.)

Last edited by namtastic; 2009-01-31 at 17:53.