Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
Ah, but it IS underpowered and useless... unless you like playing the PS2 equivalent of virtual skeeball.

Personally, I think the Wii's sales are highly impressive, but like laptops vs netbooks, it's a sign of the further commoditization of consoles and a bad sign regarding a future stagnation of innovation in the video gaming industry. (Look at the NPDs and see how many Wii titles are selling vs. Wii consoles.)
I understand your point.
Do you also think the RX-51 has all the right parts (Hypothetically and If rumors turn out to be right) ?
Also think the N810 is A great MID anyway (even with lame hardware) ?
Thanks

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
Ah, but it IS underpowered and useless... unless you like playing the PS2 equivalent of virtual skeeball.
Spoken as a true Sony/Microsoft fan. :P

Yes, 3rd-party developers tend to push the PS2 port method of game development, and, yes, Nintendo, again, has to carry their console with their 1st-party games, but what games they are! Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, Super Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Okami etc. You could argue that many of these are simply more of the same in generally strong series, but there are also much more creative titles like Elebits, Warioware, Zacki & Wiki, Endless Ocean, and Rayman.

Sure, in many ways it's not as strong of a platform for the more hardcore gamers as PS3 or 360 (I love my 360), but it's certainly not a platform you can dismiss offhand, and the appeal its generated among traditionally non-gaming segments is incredibly impressive.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
Whats an RX-51? When I google RX-51 the only site that has any relevance to the topic is this one. How is it that the users of this forum or the only ones on the entire internet in the know? LOL

Maybe its a new sizzle stick...

Originally Posted by sunnydips View Post
Whats an RX-51? When I google RX-51 the only site that has any relevance to the topic is this one. How is it that the users of this forum or the only ones on the entire internet in the know? LOL
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9093153240.html
http://maemo.org/community/council/c..._2009-part_ii/

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England

you are not wrong, there is not a lot to go on yet.
RX-51 is the internal identifier used in the kernel to specify the hardware revision, ie RX-34 became the n800, RX-44 went to n810 etc.

The final nokia model number will not use this (we still dont know, but N900 seems reasonable)

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
you are not wrong, there is not a lot to go on yet.
RX-51 is the internal identifier used in the kernel to specify the hardware revision, ie RX-34 became the n800, RX-44 went to n810 etc.
They didn't really become them, they're just two different identifiers for the same thing. The model being something like 770, N800, or N810 is what the consumer sees, and the type being SU-18, RX-34, or RX-44 is what's used internally for code and such.

The final nokia model number will not use this (we still dont know, but N900 seems reasonable)
N900 seems reasonable, but I'm interested to see what it might actually turn out to be (and what they'll end up calling the device).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy

At least we don't have to deal with any random rambles from a bay area's douche UI designer

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

gen, the identifiers used may not end up being the final revision, hence at some point I'm sure something like the RX-43 was thought of to become the n810.

Until they choose to go with a specific hardware model there is no link.

We might end up getting a new nokia model based on the RX-51, or we might end up with something from (for instance) an RX-54.

gen, the identifiers used may not end up being the final revision, hence at some point I'm sure something like the RX-43 was thought of to become the n810.
Every single number we've ever seen in public has ended up as the type for the released product. So I'd say historic precedence is behind me on this one. Nor does your assertion seem to follow for Nokia's phones.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-02-15 at 14:04.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Every single number we've ever seen in public has ended up as the type for the released product. So I'd say historic precedence is behind me on this one. Nor does your assertion seem to follow for Nokia's phones.
what about the soyuz device *, sure its not a swanky RX-XY number but its the same principal showing that intermediate devices with internal codenames exist.

The RX-48 could very easily have never made it to sale either.

Its just an internal code to work with the hardware, sure you gain momentum for a certain code, but nothing at all says the next nokia internet tablet WILL be RX-51.

* http://wiki.maemo.org/Codenames