Active Topics

I just want to thank b-man and other staff for that amazing release. IŽll try when know more about my new n800.

Thx a lot!

The Following User Says Thank You to geekko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I just updated the first post to include an updated version of nit-bootmenu-compat and i've also created a new repository specificly for ubuntu
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Hello guys,

I'm afraid to be asking stupid questions, but it seems that the guide must be missing some information...

Anyways, I can't install the fancy bootloader. I added the repo's and updated, but when I apt-get it, it says that ubuntu-omap-fb-splash depends on omap-fb-tools and ubuntu-rescue-menu depends on omap-fb-console, both of which are "not going to be installed". Is there a dependency breakage or maybe I'm missing some repositories not mentioned in the guide?

Since it first says to remove deblet-rescue-menu and deblet-omap-splash I'm guessing you guys have a repository in the sources that I don't.

So I installed the deblet bootloader from their .install file (for Diablo). It installed fine and I made the .item for my ubuntu on mmcblk1p2 (extracted from the rootstrap), it apparently starts to boot, says that it's loading linuxrc, but then it just reboots without a message. I doubt that it's a bootloader problem, isn't the deblet bootloader in essense the same as the one you use?

Last edited by alexey; 2009-02-13 at 08:27.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Hmm, it looks like there are some package conflicts between the mer and ubuntu-n8x0 witch could be causing those dependence issues, i'll look into it sometime this weekend. For now, i'd suggest that you remove the mer repo from your /etc/apt/sorces.list file as a temporary workaround for this problem. (The ubuntu-n8x0 repo shuld be complete enough to be used exclusively allong side the ubuntu jaunty repo) Also, that startup problem could be related to omap-fb-tools and omap-fb-console not being installed. I'm using the deblet bootmenu.

Btw, sorry it took me so long to respond, i've been quite busy lately
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

Oh dang, I seem to be the one person that noting works for. Deblet's bootmenu starts good, gives me some good messages from the linuxrc file, drops to the splash screen, but then says "Incompatible bootmenu used", like in the screenshots. Can you tell me in which cases it says that? I've checked and rechecked all the options :-(

By the way, there seems to be a glitch with something, I've seen it somewhere else on this forum too: I had to change my device from mmcblk1p2 to mmcblk0p2 for it to start booting, despite the fact, that my ubuntu is on the external card! It's actually a bit of a mystery to me, because when I mount it, I use mmcblk1p2... I don't know how that happens, but you might want to add it as a little note.

Sorry for causing trouble, and THANK YOU for your work, this is the most exciting thing I've ever saw since I first booted Ubuntu two years ago :-)

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
There's a bug in Maemo, that causes external card to be mmcblk1. In initfs, Mer, Ubuntu or Deblet, external card is always mmcblk0

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
So the "incompatible bootmenu" message is displayed by the /etc/init.d/nit-boot-basics script.
Code:
if [ -L /var/run ]; then
	# WARNING: This install has been corrupted!
	/sbin/fb-progress -b 000000 -p ff0000 -c -l /usr/share/nit-bootmenu-compat/incompatible-bootmenu.jpg -i 100 -o 100
	sleep 15		
	reboot -f
fi
It apparently checks whether /var/run is a symbolic link. I removed the checking, letting it proceed and it actually did, but then froze when the load bar was just a centimetre away from finishing.

My biggest question: how to turn off the splash screen, so I can actually see what's causing the trouble?

Hello list,

first of all, thanks for this work. I run in the same problem like alexey. I try to install ubuntu on the external card on a N810. Sometimes the installing breaks with a reboot sometimes with errors. But every time the boot process stops after displaying the message "pivot root and starting /sbin/init." And nothing happens.

I know the problem with the external and internal card for the fstab, but what should be in the fstab starting the boot process.
I have nothing on the internal card, external a fat on p1, ext3 on p2 and swap on p3.

Could you help me?

Thanks,
Erni35

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Is there a place to report the bootmenu problem? As mentioned above (and possibly related to similar deblet problems), the partition must be changed to load this from mmcblk1pX to mmcblk0pX.

Other than that, 0.8 is a beautiful release. Keep it up.

Originally Posted by alexey View Post
So the "incompatible bootmenu" message is displayed by the /etc/init.d/nit-boot-basics script.
Code:
if [ -L /var/run ]; then
	# WARNING: This install has been corrupted!
	/sbin/fb-progress -b 000000 -p ff0000 -c -l /usr/share/nit-bootmenu-compat/incompatible-bootmenu.jpg -i 100 -o 100
	sleep 15		
	reboot -f
fi
It apparently checks whether /var/run is a symbolic link. I removed the checking, letting it proceed and it actually did, but then froze when the load bar was just a centimetre away from finishing.

My biggest question: how to turn off the splash screen, so I can actually see what's causing the trouble?
You can run the following to disable the splash;

Code:
mv /lib/init/splash-functions /lib/init/splash-functions.old

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu