Could someone confirm the following for me? I am not asking "how to," but I have spent time searching.

My general conclusion is that the n810 does a lot of things well, and will do everything I want in a single device. Specifically,

1. Basic internet - general browsing, gmail, and most (if not all) of google apps.

2. Video - streaming is out. However, stored video would work just fine given the proper encoding. (Think kids in the car on a long trip)

3. Network - can connect to a windows box for file transfer.

4. GPS - mapping works fine. I don't need routing. I just want to know where I am on a map.

5. Flash - Flash 9 sites should not be a problem. Miniclip.com and similar are popular in my house.

6. Music - MP3 work, while not a requirement, it is a nice bonus feature.

Thanks!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
""2. Video - streaming is out.""

I stream video just fine from a variety of web sources, using the VideoCenter App.
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Pretty much YES to everything.
Not sure about Miniclip.com though. Flash heavy sites could pose a challenge.
I would say that "the n810 does a lot of things". It's very flexible, but doesn't excel at lots of things.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpramlak For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the quick feedback.

By "a lot of things" I think you captured what I was getting at. I could buy a single purpose device for many of the features in the n810, which individually would outperform the n810. So I am willing to trade "excellence" for flexibility.

As a reference point for my own performance standards, I still use a PIII 400Mhz machine on a regular basis. While not nearly as fast as my dual core laptop, I don;t complain.

Woah, Nelly. I would not say that the N810 does all of those things well. It can do them all, but not well. Browsing is painful on the small screen and with the chicklet keyboard; I would rather wait a day and get my browsing done on a full PC than try to do some quick browsing on the N810. The GPS takes a long time to get a lock, many times it does not, and it is glad to loose it when it gets it. So mapping w/ GPS most definitely does not work fine. I have an N810 and I'd be hard pressed to pick a single task (or combination of tasks) that the N810 excels at.

The Following User Says Thank You to branchingfactor For This Useful Post:
I use 1, 4, and 6 all the time. Works great for me. (On GPS: I only recently got an N810, but its GPS seems fine to me; I know they catch lots of flak for GPS problems, but mine does fine using AGPS; locks outdoors, but among buildings, within 30 seconds, and keeps a lock in my jacket pocket while cycling. Maybe some units are worse than others, and I got a good one, or maybe the problems are over-hyped.)

For 3, all my NT machines run Cygwin and OpenSSH, so I generally use sftp; I've heard CIFS is fine, but I can't confirm that. Bluetooth file transfers also work fine.

I've played with 2 a bit, more for curiosity than interest, and it does ok without re-encoding most video content, using mplayer with appropriate lavdopts. Playing arbitrary video is not near as bad as it's made out to be, and it should be pretty good indeed if you reencode everything.

Flash, OTOH, may be an issue; while it usually works fine, sometimes it's slow, and it's always a battery hog. It's the only possible sticking point I see, but if you run a 400MHz PIII, I don't think a 400MHz ARM11 will be a disappointment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: