Notices

Once saved as a POI you can go to POI-Browse Use GPS location select the category that you saved the information into. The list of categories comes up and you select the one you are after and click goto.

YoDudes answer is better, and he beat me to it

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
But, Rassilon7, wouldn't you know YoDude would be the one to answer a "Where's my car?" question!

Thanks, YoDude. Maemo-Mapper is doing just what I'd thought it should be able to do. When I'm in Paris, I am clearly going to have one tres romantique rendez-vous after another! And if I should establish a circuit, where each one wants me, say, every third night, by golly, I'm gonna get to each and everyone of them. Even if they wisely won't give me their addresses.

(BTW, what I was doing wrong was clicking and holding on the map and then selecting "POI" (rather than "Tap Point"), which gave me a choice of Add Route Point or Add Waypoint, but did not give me a choice of Add POI (which is under the Tap Point menu, not the POI menu). So then I was browsing POIs by putting in the Query box the names I had given to Waypoints; hence I wasn't finding them.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-02-22 at 03:59.

Shameless plug: wouldn't cyborg seem appropriate for this sort of thing? I used it once or twice for finding my parking place, back when I commuted by car, though I use it more when cycling in unfamiliar parts of town.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Shameless plug: wouldn't cyborg seem appropriate for this sort of thing? I used it once or twice for finding my parking place, back when I commuted by car, though I use it more when cycling in unfamiliar parts of town.
Benson, I feel like I clicked on your link and walked onto another planet. (And, by God, there was Qwerty12!) I'm like, "What are these Linux guys saying to one another?"

I had no idea from that thread what cyborg does, so I don't know what drew Qwerty12 or fizze to it (unless they'd heard of cyborg.py); but following the link to cyborg.py, I gather this program periodically tells you something like "You are going northwest 26 degrees at 3 miles per hour"? If that's what it does, why would I want to walk around or go biking and be told this refrain?

I clicked on the .deb (why not?) and installed it, but didn't have any idea what to do next (or exactly what to expect). So I typed
Code:
gpsd-clients
into Xterm at the $ prompt, got told it was an error. And stopped.

So as I sit here, I guess I still don't know what direction I'm going or at what speed. (Though Texrat, RIP, whose location was handbasket/hell, or hell/handbasket, may have a pretty good idea.)

No, no, it tells you the remaining distance, direction, and approximate time to some target location, e.g., your Parisienne's front door. Telling you your current heading would be much less useful as a constant drone. (It does show that on the screen, though.)

gpsd-clients is a package containing a number of useful tools, one of which, gpspipe, is needed to make cyborg.py go. I was kind of assuming anyone who would use this had already read about in the xkcd blag, so my instructions may have assumed too much.

Basically, you need to install gpsd-clients (you did this), and download both cyborg.py and cy.sh. Copy cyborg.py and cy.sh to somewhere on your $PATH; I put it in /home/user/bin/ and added that to my path, but if you haven't done (and don't want to do) anything different from stock, you'll need to be root and put it in /usr/bin or such, e.g.:
Code:
sudo gainroot
cp MyDocs/cyborg.py MyDocs/cy.sh /usr/bin
chmod 755 /usr/bin/cyborg.py /usr/bin/cy.sh
Then, with gpsd up (i.e., with some GPS-using program active, such as MM, speedometer, or even the GPS location applet from the Control Panel), you can start it with [code]cy.sh <latitude> <longitude>[code]
Or if you've saved the target GPS location in a file,
Code:
cy.sh <filename>
Typical use would really involve something clever to stuff current gps location into a certain file, say /tmp/gpsbeacon (the hard part is automatically starting gpsd and getting a lock; once a lock is obtained, gpspipe makes it easy), and then set up a launcher (osso-statusbar-cpu, Personal Menu, Personal Launcher, etc.) to call that command as "Drop homing beacon" and cy.sh /tmp/gpsbeacon as "Activate homing routine". I'm such a command-line junkie that I hadn't messed with any of that previously -- it was "good enough" for my use -- but I'm happy to help figure it out for others.

Right now, I added these to Personal Menu, and they seem to work; for "Drop beacon" I have:
Code:
sh -c "gpspipe -wn5|awk '/^GPSD,0=[^ ]+ +[^ ]+ +[^ ]+ +[-+0-9.]+ +[-+0-9.]/ {print \$4 \" \" \$5"}'|tail -1>/tmp/gpsbeacon"
(This fails if you don't have gpsd up already -- it ought to have either an added program, or to be rewritten as a standalone program, which starts the GPS and waits for a fix.)

The second one should work as written above, but I was too lazy to mess with environment variables and implemented directly without cy.sh:
Code:
sh -c 'gpspipe -w|/home/user/bin/cyborg.py `cat /tmp/gpsbeacon`'
Change the path appropriately for your installation...