Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
As long as WiFi power saving is left on you will have problems initiating transactions from the PC to the Tablet.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Power-save mode isn't a problem on my n810. I have power saving set to "On (maximum)" and have absolutely no problems ssh'ing into my tablet from my PC, even if my tablet has been idle for hours. FWIW, I'm using openssh on the tablet.

For file transfer, I just use scp from the command line. If I need to mount the tablet as a drive on my computer I use sshfs. (I use MacFUSE on my Mac for this; I don't know if there's a similar Windows hack to mount a remote file system over ssh.)

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Chelloveck View Post
Power-save mode isn't a problem on my n810. I have power saving set to "On (maximum)" and have absolutely no problems ssh'ing into my tablet from my PC, even if my tablet has been idle for hours. FWIW, I'm using openssh on the tablet.

For file transfer, I just use scp from the command line. If I need to mount the tablet as a drive on my computer I use sshfs. (I use MacFUSE on my Mac for this; I don't know if there's a similar Windows hack to mount a remote file system over ssh.)
hadn't tried ssh, I found the problem with ping.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
If you have installed the OpenSSH client and server then you should be able to log in to your NiT from the PC using the command:

ssh root@NiT.IP.Address
Then enter your password when it asks for it.

I can recommend Gftp for the NiT.
Hi....i have just joined the forum today and needed help with my N810. Im using an Open SuSe Linux desktop and wanted to connect or even ping to my tablet. I tried using ssh root@tablet_IP_Address. But this doesn't work?. I need to do this since..., the directories listed in my N810 and the ones listed in Linux ( after connecting the device through USB to my PC ) are not the same.

Thanks
Figure07

Last edited by Figure07; 2009-02-25 at 07:03. Reason: Additional info

Have you installed Open SSH on both machines?

Extremely Sorry, Rassilon7, for the late reply.....
Well yes...I do have ssh installed on both the devices.....Still stuck in trying to gain access to my Nokia N810, through my Linux Desktop.....

Regards
FIgure07

Its only going to get worse. I've been fighting the shared folder problem since the N810 was released. There are many alternative apps, but none is more easy to use then setting up a HTTP File Server and use Nokia's browser to transfer files. The plus side is that HFS works with any internet device regardless of OS.

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro

Another vote for winSCP. It starts off with saved connection/profiles, like certain dirs on both sides, and works as you would expect a gui ftp to work. As a plus you can use putty.exe to ssh in and run stuff, if you are needing to do more typing in the command line than you'd like with onscreen or slide out keyboard. I use it every day to harvest my eCoach .gpx files to transfer to bimactive through the browser on desktop (10 times faster with the drop down dialog and file upload on desktop, but at least can do it through microB if at a hotel or something).

Another thing that's nice about the SSH is it runs in background, and as soon as you connect to a wifi network it's available. I don't have to start the server on the NIT every use, as I do with VNC.