Active Topics

I have been wanting to get the N810 after having the N800 for a little while now as I would really like that keyboard it has-

However it now seems like maybe the tablets are done and Nokia may be putting the attention to newer developments (maybe)-

I just wonder if everyone thinks that people will still continue to develop for the tablets and if the updates to the OS will continue -

Should I just wait at this point for the new thing they are doing?

Thanks -

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
What makes you think the tablets are done?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Tablets are definitely not done, but at this point I would wait a month or two to see if there is an announcement about the new model that has OMAP3. It sounds like the release might be this summer.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
We have a powerful little versatile cheap handheld open platform right now.
if you have a need for it don't wait, buy it and use it for what you want.

There is a decent community distro being built and applications are coming from numerous sources.

most applications don't need the new features (though we will use them to the fullest extent when available).

I'm certainly continuing to target this device, for me getting a good experience here will directly equate to kickass performance on the next one

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I was/am in the same position. Love my N800, but really long for the keyboard.
Ended up not buying the N810 (had it ordered but delivery date slipped, so I cancelled).
Main reason: Here in Denmark the N810 is still 400 US $ - which is too steep when a new version (hopefully) is close.
If I could get it for the 200 it's selling for in the US - I would go for it (and upgrade with the SD addon + the announced IR module). When the N810 successor comes - the N810 is the coolest remote/home automation device.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
When the N810 successor comes - the N810 is the coolest remote/home automation device.
What "announced IR module"?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
What "announced IR module"?
craves1 is building one for those with the full-size SD card slot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
nikolajhendel: What you could do is look up what shipping costs would be to Denmark, and then talk a friend of yours in the states into getting one and shipping it to you. I've had a couple friends do that (not for me specifically since I'm in the states, but rather for others out of country) before for some friends they knew in the UK. When the chance to get a EU only item came up, the UK friends returned the favor.

So if you can find someone in the states willing to do that for you, then you should be good to go.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
If you hurry up and get the 810 you can install the nes emulator and load up some boy and his blob. why? cause its the pimpest game of all time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vj9YbRPu9Y

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
I would recommend to wait, cause a the new one could better suit you tastes and lower the price of a N810. So either way, its better to wait a little just now.
Nikolajhendel: I got my N800 from ebay around june last year for $200 (local price around $400), shipping included.
You just have to tweak ebay a little to get the best prices for your country. (They are mostly used units, though)
1)Search for N810
2)Click Buy it now only
3)Sort by Price+Shipping :highest first
4)Click on Shipping to USA (may have another country code)
5)Choose your country
6)Scroll down, and look for the cheapest N810 (usually there's a "limit" between units and accesories)

Tadah!
That's how I shop there. If you are looking for electronics, sorting Price+Shipping: highest first works better, if its a deal on accesories, use lowest first.