Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by qole View Post
See above regarding emulation versus virtualization.
Sigh... qole you know what I meant. Other ARM operating systems, like Android, WinMo, BB, Maemo... As long as there is a compatible "appliance", it can run on any phone without "porting" it.

This technology can possibly be used to prevent hacking, BUT think about this. If the "protected" stuff is in a separate VM, maybe companies will lower restrictions on the other parts. Also, if the VM itself is hacked, then you can load any OS (see above for clarification ) including "jailbroken" ones. Which is nice.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I like that positive spin. The companies can put the voice stack, etc in a nice little armour-plated vault, and then use OSS for the rest of it.

Last edited by qole; 2009-02-27 at 09:37.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Mars
so who can find us a leaked vershion of this VMWARE to est the one they used on the video surley someone out there has access to it maybe you can slip it onto this forum for us to test please.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
So this is basically a hypervisor -like ESX- for ARM?

Cool for developers and curious users to run a different OS and applications on their mobile device such as Symbian, BB, OSX, WM. For backward compatibility it might come in handy as well.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
Amiga was 68k, I thought ARM was 68k on super steroids?

Not necessarily compatible, but certainly the same family.

rose tinted glasses, i fail!
Different, incompatible architectures. Amiga, back in those days, had m68k (CISC). ARM is a RISC, once started by UK corporation Acorn. Together with their OSes, provided a rapid user experience. Both often used in embedded environments, before the x86-32 hegemony on desktops they were also in use on desktops. Some manufacturers -e.g. Amiga and Atari- vanished with their product while other manufacturers -e.g. SUN, Apple- went to other architectures such as -but not exclusively- ARM (also PPC, MIPS, SPARC, ...) for their newer devices (mostly desktops, thin clients, [small] servers, and some embedded as well). m68k was and is still used in embedded market, but compared to ARM relatively not much. MIPS and PPC are also still used in embedded market, but again not as much as ARM.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Commercial is fine! I'd prefer support + a product lifespan instead of abandonment ("I'm busy with my real job") and platitudes ("At least it's free!").
AMEN! I hate those "real job" excuses

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
As much as I was thrilled to read about that (on Engadget BTW) and see the videos, I don't think VMWare will be officially releasing/selling this solution to the home users. I believe they see the customers being OEMs, maybe telco providers or large corporations.
Maybe we could convince them to release a non-final build to us for testing, but then I doubt we'd be given the image of WinCE machine as it's a whole lot of problems with licensing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stangri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
... why would we want a WinCE image to run on it?

Maemo and Android would be plenty fine.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Ironic how they did not use Maemo... Looks like Nokia made a great hardware product, but epic failed on the software
You're absolutely right. Nokia needs to catch up on the software. Their hardware is amazing (NSeries phones) but the software is just too old. I'm not saying the software is bad but it's just too slow.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
... why would we want a WinCE image to run on it?.
Because there are treasures on each OS and to think otherwise would be a bit of the master race mentality. There are some fantastic navigation softwares available on WinCE and everything that I have used on the tablet has been 2nd rate or at least the experience has been. Not to mention the library of thousands of programs already made for WinCE that don't exist on the Maemo platform. I have liked my experience with Linux but why do so many people actually close their mind smaller than Microsoft just to defend Linux? Truly, if you can embrace something from all OS's you will be better off for it.

edit: Reading this the next day, this was suppose to come across in a positive way but instead is kind of a-hole like. Just think happy thoughts when reading it and it should read just right.

Last edited by Munk; 2009-02-28 at 15:18. Reason: PC mode

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Central Valley, California, USA
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Because there are treasures on each OS and to think otherwise would be a bit of the master race mentality. There are some fantastic navigation softwares available on WinCE...Not to mention the library of thousands of programs already made for WinCE that don't exist on the Maemo platform.
Amen, sir. I am not a windows mobile fanatic by any means but I do like it. The opportunities for customization/beautification are boundless and for my occupational needs "it just works".

I like Maemo Mapper. I think it's a tremendous accomplishment. But when using my phone I really benefit from the Bing navigation program (used to be Windows Live Search). Skyfire has been mentioned a lot. Documents To Go is a very, very powerful office suite held back only by the device's screen. If I took time I could list dozens more, but I'm rusty since I generally go to the N810 for anything beyond cell phone usage.

I know nothing about Android aside from the cell phone commercials. I like the idea of having the ability to switch between Maemo and Windows Mobile.