100-499 posts: In awe of General Antilles
500-999 posts: Tries to smile like General Antilles
1000-3799 posts: Tries to act like General Antilles
3800+ posts: Is General Antilles

Regards,
Roger

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
Why don't you send everyone a pm with a survey or quiz or both attached rating that user's level of knowledge on such things as linux, networking, programming, etc. You could even add a whole section to the itt site: Test for Senior Member

But I believe that if we go ahead with this that the forum should somehow direct more newbie traffic towards the "senior members" because otherwise why does this matter?

Like in Ultima Online how you had counselors and game masters and admins.

I think unanswered threads past however long it takes to push it off the top page should be forwarded to senior members to take a look at.

Last edited by sunnydips; 2009-03-12 at 17:18.

Here a confusing suggestion:

< 10 post

Observing Member
> 10 post

> 10 posts and (4 post in last 30 days or > 2 Thanks in last 90 days)

Guru
> 40 Thanks total or (> 40 posts total and (> 20 post in last 30 days or > 10 Thanks in last 90 days))

God-like
> 100 Thanks total or (> 100 post total and (> 50 post in last 30 days or > 25 Thanks in last 90 days))

The actual numbers of thanks and posts is somewhat arbitrary & should be adjusted to reflect other members opinions.

Even though it's confusing, I think a valuation scheme like this is a good balance between recently joint member who jump right in contribute quickly, valuable long time members who have been unable to contribute due to recent external circumstances & the other active members to this forum.

For example, I would I consider myself an observing member to this forum. I read it 3 time a week, but I don't contribute often - therefore I'd give myself a label of "Observing Member". If I decided to contribute more and those contributions where valued by other member (by Thanking), then I would be rewarded with a higher member status.

So thank me for this contribution so I can be rewarded.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urnass For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sunnydips View Post
. . . otherwise why does this matter?
That's the point, it doesn't matter, but the current arrangement (with seniority) makes it seem like it does matter. So, I'm fishing for some cool alternatives that underline the fact that it doesn't matter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
1-9 posts: Never heard of General Antilles...
[Sigh] That post was supposed to be a light-hearted joke, but I've received some PMs which show that not everyone took it that way. Sorry about that.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
(in the case of a prolific troll, or an individual that likes to spam help requests, etc.). This issue has come up often enough (and out of left field often enough) that I believe it should be addressed as part of the Talk migration.
I may be one of those users who spams help requests The thing is I'm unsure if the reason no one answers is because no one knows or because no one cares to waste their time on the stupid newbie question. So I post in multiple areas hoping to get a response and end up a senior member just two days after receiving my first NIT.

There's certain issues I see with the forum that could work much better for everyone should the people with the know decide to make it matter. I personally do not have the skills and perhaps I'm a bit out of place suggesting such things but I'd like to see a bit more structure in the tablet forums.

Wouldn't it be better a newbie like me could post a thread and know that he'll get help from a "experienced" user and not just another newb with 1000 posts?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
[Sigh] That post was supposed to be a light-hearted joke, but I've received some PMs which show that not everyone took it that way. Sorry about that.
You don't even know, buddy, you don't even know. . . .

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just for fun, let anyone with more than say 100 posts make their own title.

However, the length of the title can be no more characters than the number of post divided by 20. You would get 5 characters for a title once you hit 100 posts and an extra character every 20 posts after that.

This would let everyone get creative with their titles and have fun with them. It would also still give an indication of how many posts someone has as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
I say we get to make our own ranking once past "newbe." That should make it interesting.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
remove the post count and the total thanks from each comment.
keep it on the profile page and keep the thanks in this post listing.

comment thanks should not be based on any level of seniority or history.
A newbie with something valid to say should be heard and rated by the peers in the discussion on an equal footing to someone who has been around for a while.

what I *do* think we need is a way to moderate out the crap.
a so called no-thanks which could start to fold up the offtopic comments made (obviously not deleting them and individual users should choose whether to see them or not)

Last edited by lcuk; 2009-03-12 at 19:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:

Tags
bikeshed color, waste of time, whoring for harmattan