Active Topics

Notices

Hi all,

I'm new to the Nokia N810 and I wanna use stardict. (speedwise)

Is it possible to just download the data in german language?
I wanna use it in my study as a digital "reference book" (medicine).

Thx

Originally Posted by ssam View Post
Is there anyone wanting non english wikipedias?
Yes, the swedish version would be very nice.
Thanks for a great app.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted by itkach View Post
Even more of a reason to submit enhancement request. I took the liberty and
did it for you.

I think It's highly unlikely consensus can be reached about something like color Probably will have to be customizable.

Thank you
Aarddict 0.7.3 with customizable colors made my day.

thaibill

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
I downloaded the wikipedia via torrent, but my SD card did not have enough room to install the encyclopedias, so I accessed them via a USB drive in USB Host mode. However, Aardict would not read the third part of the Wikipedia. I suspect my download was corrupted for that file--it would be a pain to have to do the download again, but I guess I'll have to.

QUESTION: How have other people installed the wikipedia files to their SD cards? I flashed the OS to the SD card and now it is inaccessible by USB (as far as networking; USB host mode would still work). I only have room for one or two of the files left on my 8 GB SD card. I can't copy the files to the internal flash card because it only has 2 GB of space. When I tried to copy over from the USB drive, the copy never completed because the USB connection got lost at the beginning of the process--I suppose that the process of copying large files overwhelms the amount of power that the tablet puts out through the microUSB port (I was using a Patriot XPorter which is a speedy drive, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a speed issue).

Other alternatives for transferring large files?
-via FTP from the desktop
-via USB using a powered port or external hard drive

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Palmleavr; 2009-03-17 at 03:45. Reason: wrong term

You could transfer the file with scp from a linux box pretty easily. Just install the openssh package on your tablet. Do you know how to copy files with scp?

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Palmleavr View Post
I downloaded the wikipedia via torrent, but my SD card did not have enough room to install the encyclopedias, so I accessed them via a USB drive in USB Host mode. However, Aardict would not read the third part of the Wikipedia.
Can you describe in more details what happens? What exactly do you mean by "would not read"? Do you get an error message? Can you run from command line (launch X Terminal from Utilities, run "aarddict -d", try to open the third volume and check if you get any errors printed out in terminal).

I suspect my download was corrupted for that file--it would be a pain to have to do the download again, but I guess I'll have to.
BitTorrent is supposed to verify downloaded data, if your BitTorrent client says it's fine then it probably is fine. You can also verify integrity of a .aar file by running "aarddict --verify dictionary.aar" command (for a Wikipedia volume on the tablet it may take a while).

QUESTION: How have other people installed the wikipedia files to their SD cards?
Either connect the tablet via USB or put SD card into card reader and then just copy the files. Third volume is just 1.2 Gb, if you can free up some space on the internal drive you should be able to put it there.

Anyone have a link to an english wikipedia dump in a stardict format? Don't care how thorough the dump is. Actually a smaller more concise dump would be better.

go to aarddict site

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
go to aarddict site
The question is about stardict, not aarddict. aarddict.org obviously doesn't have any Wiki dumps in stardict format.

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Anyone have a link to an english wikipedia dump in a stardict format? Don't care how thorough the dump is. Actually a smaller more concise dump would be better.
According to http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict..._WikiPedia.php English Wiki is one of those few not available in stardict.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
This is a very late reply to itkatch:
Sorry I took so long to get back--I didn't really write down the exact error I got when accessing the Wikipedia file from a usb drive using Aardict. In the meantime, I reflashed my n810 and it has taken me over a week to get almost everything installed that I wanted in place.

What I finally did was move the third (and smallest) part of the Wikipedia for Aardict onto my 8 GB micro SD card (which is what I boot off of). The short of it: it now works.

I suspect that the problem was with my USB connection and not the Wikipedia file. In the future, if I face this problem again with the SD card, I might try transferring the 2+ GB files over via ftp.

As far as transferring over via a USB flash drive/n810 in USB host mode: Whenever I transfer files of any size (i.e., > 1 MB), the transfer fails. I suspect that it's because my Patriot Xporter 32 GB drive needs extra power for larger transfers and the micro USB port on the n810 is not up to the task, power-wise.

Last edited by Palmleavr; 2009-03-27 at 18:39. Reason: addition