Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Does it strike anybody as odd that N810 supplies seem to be practically dried up? Many online retailers (e-tailors, if you will) seem to have none or very few units available. The prices on Ebay have soared of late, with few deals to be found (a sign of low supply?).

Could this be the calm before the storm? The N810WME was announced on April 1st. Could this be the magic date the N900 is released on?

I'm just about to purchase an N810, but my gut says wait a wee bit.

What do you all think? I really need your help!

}:^)~
YARR!

Cappy needs helpy
If the prices have soared, maybe wait -- I'm sure they'll drop back to ~$210 when the RX-51 is announced, maybe even down to $190. I don't think I'd go for an N810 if I thought it would hinder my ability to pay $500 for an RX-51 when it comes out, but I did, despite having enough N800s to keep me happy, spring for one at $219, and I'm not entirely sure I disapprove of that purchase. (EDIT: What I mean is, I'm not sure it was stupid, because there was no way for me to really try an N810 without risking some money. I am sure that, already owning my N800s, I wouldn't have bought it if I knew what I do now; if I were starting with no N800, though, I'd go for an N810 over an N800 at current prices, because I do hack a lot, and the keyboard's good for that.)

I'd bet against April 1 specifically, but it could be tomorrow, or it could be 3 months yet -- and once it's announced, we still don't know when it'll ship.

Last edited by Benson; 2009-03-20 at 00:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The next device isn't coming on April 1st. They haven't released the Beta SDK yet. The most likely release date is this Summer.

If you've got the cash, get the N810. Its a great device

(disclaimer: I don't own an N810, I own 2 N800s)

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
but I did, despite having enough N800s to keep me happy, spring for one at $219, and I'm not entirely sure I disapprove of that purchase.
Wow, what resounding praise! What excitement!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Wow, what resounding praise! What excitement!
Umm... yeah, see my clarification.

If it doesn't make sense how you could consider a purchase you wouldn't have made if you'd known more to be non-stupid, think about college tuition for a moment.

I really do like it, and I'm working on a review now, pending a little testing. Would you believe, I've had the N810 for about a month, and still haven't done an audio head-to-head?

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
* sonic screwdriver for fighting off daleks
Does the sonic screwdriver feature buffers or red settings? How is it expected to perform against hair dryers?

:-D

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Thanks for the input guys/gals/guals.

I have been thoroughly convinced that despite speculation of the release, this would be a great product to buy. Having had the opportunity to use the N810, I know I'd love (and have MANY uses for) it regardless of weather a new version came out or not. Of course, the ideal-consumer in me was weighing perfect-substitutes, phantom or otherwise.

But as fate would have it, on this cold Canadian morn, I am having trouble getting in touch with a seller that has the one I would like to buy in stock. I'm prepared to purchase this unit today, so hopefully I hear back. If I don't hear back from this gual, I'm going to have to wait another week (at least) before I move forward.

I've got both fingers crossed!

}:^)~
YARR!

captnCorrupt

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
* filter coffee machine
i dont drink filter coffee. if they dont include a high quality espresso machine, i'll not buy it.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i dont drink filter coffee. if they dont include a high quality espresso machine, i'll not buy it.
this is an optional plugin upgrade.
you can just slide out the microwave unit and put in your expresso maker.

I'm still waiting for the attachment that will allow you to use it as a phased-plasma rifle in the 40w range.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
this is an optional plugin upgrade.
you can just slide out the microwave unit and put in your expresso maker.
lame answer. i would have hoped for a filter vs. espresso flame war.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Yes, the new Nokia n1000 will be launched on April 1st and it will have all the features ever requested here on ITT and elsewhere:
* filter coffee machine
No espresso? Oh, well, I'll have to wait for the next generation.

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?