Active Topics

I don't know what "titchy" means
It means small

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I was surprised that I really like reading on my N800. Then I tried doing it on an iPod Touch, but my eyes fatigued from the lack of pixel density. Last week I briefly tried a Kindle 2, and I was surprised to find its contrast too low for my satisfaction. Maybe contrast is adjustable, but my cousin -- its owner -- didn't think so.
I have the exact opposite experience. Reading on my N800 is hampered mainly by the lack of transreflective screen which makes reading in anything but a dim room quite fatiguing. I have no problems reading on my iPhone in all kinds of lighting, indoors and out, and as for the Kindle app, changing font sizes is trivial.

As I alluded earlier, though, I'm not doing heavy-duty reading on the iPhone, just a chpater or two here or there, which come to think of it is how I read even with a book. Short attention span, maybe...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
I have the exact opposite experience. Reading on my N800 is hampered mainly by the lack of transreflective screen which makes reading in anything but a dim room quite fatiguing. I have no problems reading on my iPhone in all kinds of lighting, indoors and out, and as for the Kindle app, changing font sizes is trivial.

As I alluded earlier, though, I'm not doing heavy-duty reading on the iPhone, just a chpater or two here or there, which come to think of it is how I read even with a book. Short attention span, maybe...
It all fits. I've done all my N800 reading in a dim room or dim airplane. I tried different font sizes on the Kindle 2, but except at a too-large size, it didn't satisfy my desire for contrast.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I love to snuggle down under the covers with a good book on my N800. It beats the old days when I used a flashlight to do the same thing

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
After knocking back a chapter or so on a Kindle 2g when I was staying over at a friends house the other day, I must say that I am pretty impressed by the e-ink. I still don't find it extremely more readable than the N810. I can't imagine the ipod touch/iphone being any different if not even worse due to lower pixel density.

The great thing that I love about my N810 is how small it is to handle and how perfectly it sits in my hand. On a crowded subway I can easily use it one handed and tucked close to me with my thumb on the pg+pg- rocker, which is more than I can say about the Kindle 2 and probably even the iphone.

The kindle is a great piece of kit, but I am more jealous of the marketplace on it than anything. I hate grappling with de-DRMing books that I have purchased. I have no qualms paying for a good book.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I can't imagine the ipod touch/iphone being any different if not even worse due to lower pixel density.
Judging by this comment, I assume that you haven't seen an ebook on the iPhone. This whole pixel density thing is a false argument. The font rendering is really perfectly fine on the iPhone, it's at least as good as my N800, and the transreflective screen bests the N800 for reading - for me. The only time I have noticed an issue with pixels is when surfing the web on non-iPhone optimized websites, the N8XX blows away the iPhone in that instance.

The great thing that I love about my N810 is how small it is to handle and how perfectly it sits in my hand. On a crowded subway I can easily use it one handed and tucked close to me with my thumb on the pg+pg- rocker, which is more than I can say about the Kindle 2 and probably even the iphone.
For reading ebooks, just being honest here, the iPhone is easier for me to hold than my N800, and a simple swipe of your thumb changes pages. It really is as simple as taking out of your pocket, opening the app, and reading - all with one hand, all with essentially no fuss. The app opens at a single touch of your thumb.

Anyway, I don't want to be accused of overhyping the competition, or of taking the thread too far from it's topic... but for ebooks the iPhone holds it's own perfectly well against at least the N800.

this thread is pushing me to go get kindle, but its really ex