Notices

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Thanks .

Of course the "browser-only theme change" approach from Issue #2 would sort of fix my problem, too, since if the browser used one of the Maemo GTK+ themes with a white input field background, the black-on-black thing goes away. This would also still be more elegant than the user CSS workaround which conflicts with site stylesheets that do apply their own formatting to a degree that causes the GTK+ widget not to be used (e.g. if I force text color for <input> to white via user CSS and then a site comes along that gives their input fields a pink border and a mostly white background image with pink polka dots ).

That said, loading up another theme to use in the browser is probably more resource-intensive than changing the behavior as suggested above ... MicroB only get this for "free" because it uses/activates Gecko's old pre-GTK-integration codepath where Gecko gets to draw its very own simple Windows 95-like input field widgets, I guess. The other downside of using a different theme is losing the extra integration provided by using system widgets when possible in the first place, but then the LCARS widgets don't really fit into most websites visually. As in, they're not very neutral-looking.

Last edited by Sho; 2009-04-09 at 21:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Im having a problem on a particular site, when I press the back button it doesnt go back but seems to reload the page. Any ideas?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Probably Ajax and injects history?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Its a singles site, plentyoffish.com try viewing a users profile and try to hit the back button and see if you think thats what it is when you get a chance.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post

Could you please provide more information? Like explaining what exactly is slower and how do you open it?

Exactly the same symptoms under the same conditions that Tso reported here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&postcount=819

(i.e, very slow on un-cached load of page with images; better on re-load)

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffklee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Its a singles site, plentyoffish.com try viewing a users profile and try to hit the back button and see if you think thats what it is when you get a chance.
I haven't looked at the site, so I'm not sure, but my guess is this: When viewing a user profile, the page redirects you to another, so when you hit back, you go back to the redirect page, instead of the page you wanted to go to.

Solutions: In tear, either:
  • Detect "redirect" pages, and remove these from the back history
  • Allow the user to tap and hold the back button to pop up a back history selection dialog
Chrome implements the second point via right-clicking on the back button (they actually allow tap-and-hold, too). Firefox has the little arrow you can click on. Microb implements tap-and-hold.

Regardless, the best you can do for now is try to hit the back button twice, really quick. This is a change that needs to be made in tear, I'll file a bug.

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2009-04-10 at 00:41.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
another duplicate then. i filed a enhancement request for tap-n-hold on back/forward a while back...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Woops. Sorry about that! It's closed, so in the next version, I assume. Removing link, Bundyo, can you remove the bug?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yeah, tap_and_hold history is implemented.

Oh my gawd! I just discovered this today, installed it on my N800, and I am blown away! Hasn't crashed yet, is stable and fast, and improves on MicroB in so many ways that it brings tears to my eyes! I love the ability to turn off js, images and flash - this is a must for mobile browsing. I can use the backspace button on the virtual keyboard without it closing. Kinetic scrolling! Awesome bar type search! Dashboard! Even you tube plays smoother! Thank you for essentially giving me a whole new internet tablet!

Tags
brower, browser, browserd fix, khtml, microb alternative, microb killer, tear, webkit, www