Active Topics

"Your corruption is complete."

Name:  darthvader.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  32.3 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I've noticed that there are very few use cases that require the precision of a stylus for their operation when a finger just wont do. Of these are drawing apps, and handwriting recognition -- a tiny fraction of overall use cases (who uses handwriting recognition anyway?).
We're not talking only about precision here, but the amount of data presentable and controllable on a single screen. Have you tryed doing file operations with a finger + keypad combo ? Or selecting text ? Picking links on a web page ? Please don't loose the stylus, I really really really want to have stylus input. If I wanted to grease up my display with my fingers, I would have gone the iPod touch way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I can't imagine using something like openoffice or gnumeric and the associated menus with just a finger or finger/dpad (if even an option). One of the appealling things about the tablets is the ability to run non-ui-optimized software. Certianly things like debian, kde might suffer from lack of readily available stylus.

I like having the option to easily try other options on the tablet. I also typed this response on the stylus keyboard, I don't think I would have done it on the finger keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@daperl
HAHA... LOVE IT. Get ready to hate me as I make this assertion: I LOVED episode 1, 2 and 3.... Well, not so much episode 1 and 2, other than that they led into 3... 3 was epic!

@atilla77, lemmyslender
First off, let me say that I fully respect your advocacy of the stylus. I'm just one person, with one opinion and realise that I represent an infinitesimal fraction of the marketplace!

Having said that, let me ask this:
Since the OS is open, and legacy apps will be legacy apps, would you be opposed to having the stylus as an accessory rather than built-into the unit?

In this way, individuals that require or prefer the type of functionality that a stylus allows, will optionally have it. A similar case would be a bluetooth/usb keyboard/mouse. It works well for individuals that would rather have that input for certain apps, but is not at all required for general use.

YARR!
}:^)~

I (heart) Corrupt

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Get ready to hate me as I make this assertion: I LOVED episode 1, 2 and 3.... Well, not so much episode 1 and 2, other than that they led into 3... 3 was epic!
No, I'm not one of those. I have a young boy that I indoctrinated early, and I really enjoy watching him decide his likes and dislikes for himself. Needless to say, I've seen 1 and 2 probably more times than most. The end of 3 is still too scary for him. He seems to like 4, 5 and 6 equally; it usually depends on the weather. But the Clone Wars currently trump everything.

I've exposed him to plenty of science fiction; the other day I had to whip out 2001 because I had tortured him long enough with the non sequiturs, "Please open the pod bay doors Hal" and "I can't do that Dave." He's anxiously awaiting June 24th, but maybe I'll take him to Star Trek before then.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by tso View Post
just look at all the webpages and stuff that have mouseover events. how do you trigger stuff like that with a stylus or finger?!
A capacitive touchscreen would allow to detect the proximity of the finger.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by igor View Post
Gives totally new meaning to "mouse hover".

Originally Posted by igor View Post
Should we take that as a hint? =)

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Should we take that as a hint? =)
To physics? Definitely! :-D

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Please don't loose the stylus, I really really really want to have stylus input.
I think we're safe for now, considering that 3 of the Fremantle Stars are stylus applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
dismantle, fremantle, fremantle summary, kate alhola, kool-aid, no soup for you, presentation, to sylus or not to stylus