Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I'd love for this to evolve into a "World Traveler" multi-function app like Palmary Clock or Fizz Traveler.

1. Currency Converter that updates
2. Common Conversions (Imperial to Metric, Clothing Sizes)
3. World Clock & Weather function (i.e., time & weather in the cities you specify--good if you are on a multi-city trip or when scheduling meetings and tele-conferences with clients in different time zones)

I'd love to see it all in one place. But, on the other hand, we already have a good app for global weather and Nokia's clock is passable. I suppose that since the tablet has limited memory, I'd rather keep the footprint small by reducing redundancy. So, an all-around converter with a focus on currency would still be very useful to me.

Last edited by klinglerware; 2009-04-03 at 12:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
1. Currency Converter that updates
2. Common Conversions (Imperial to Metric, Clothing Sizes)
3. World Clock & Weather function (i.e., time & weather in the cities you specify--good if you are on a multi-city trip or when scheduling meetings and tele-conferences with clients in different time zones)
Thanks for the ideas, currency with update is done, and i like the idea for common conversions so will look to implement that next.

As you suggest, I think world clock and weather is already covered with software available and might add too much bloat, but I will keep it in mind for future.

The Following User Says Thank You to fifth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by fifth View Post
... currency with update is done, ...
Any .deb yet?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
mathjinni can do some of the common conversions, and is expandable via xml, iirc...

I would find this useful. I often travel and still have savings in the UK though resident in the US.

One feature I'd like is predictive conversion. You put in a future date and it tells you what the rate will be.

But otherwise keep it simple. Do it's one job well.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Any .deb yet?
Hopefully have one up within the next week. Not had much time recently, so just making sure the basics are solid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Also see http://www.google.com/help/features.html#trip

It is easy to make a shortcut with this feature.

Example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=150+GBP+in+USD

Just replace 150 with the amount of source valuta, GBP with the source valuta, and USD with the target valuta. So input is 150 and GBP, output is ??? and USD where ??? will be what Google tells you.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Hi,
I think this would be a GREAT app. For me, I frequently check currency rates, but I also need historical currency rates for certain records. For example, it would be useful to know not only the current conversion rates but also what the rates were for a certain date in the recent past (i.e., < 1 year ago).

For eye-candy, the ability to graph of the rates over time might also help someone like me (an ex-pat overseas) whether or not I should start transferring foreign funds into the host country or whether the exchange rate trend makes it more wise to leave funds in the home country's bank.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Also see http://www.google.com/help/features.html#trip

It is easy to make a shortcut with this feature.
Thanks, I might look into this. At the moment the currency data is taken from Time Genie.

Originally Posted by Palmleavr
For eye-candy, the ability to graph of the rates over time might also help someone like me (an ex-pat overseas) whether or not I should start transferring foreign funds into the host country or whether the exchange rate trend makes it more wise to leave funds in the home country's bank.
Thanks for the input. I did originally plan to do something like this, but it was discussed in this thread that it might be unnecessary bloat for a tablet application. But, I'll see how things develop

I've updated the app internally to make it more solid and useable, the update options work very smoothly now and only when requested, otherwise the app will use its local cache of the exchange rates.

Also updated the screenshot on the first post, nation flags are now displayed next to the currency.

New announcement thread started with new screenshots and link to download.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=28369