Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
Some Hildon apps (I only tried gpe-calendar) will work if you run a sapwood server and a matchbox window manager. The following two commands seem to work:

Code:
/usr/lib/sapwood/sapwood-server --display :1 &
/usr/bin/matchbox-window-manager -display :1 -theme default -use_titlebar yes -use_desktop_mode plain -use_lowlight no -use_cursor yes -use_dialog_mode static &
You can then run gpe-calendar with:
Code:
DISPLAY=:1 gpe-calendar
My Easy Debian package has a good :1 display to use as a test-bed for trying to get Hildon apps to run on an alternate display. I start the Xephyr nested xserver on :1.

There's some bad news, however. The standard stable of Hildon apps will not start on display :1, even using the above technique. I can get xmms to run on :1 without starting sapwood or matchbox, but browser and osso-xterm always go to display 0, even when I issue "killall openbox" (openbox is the window manager running on :1 by default) and then issue the two commands above. I can test that matchbox is indeed running on :1 by opening a Debian app like Roxterm, producing the familiar full-screen Hildon window.

Any ideas?

Not a idea, but I heard and I'm quite sure that it's true, that the Hildon apps are hardwired to :0 and can not be redirected from extern :-(

Sometimes the closeness of these sources is a pity...

asys3

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
After having a chat with Graham about Xserver modifications, and with some Nokians who were mentioning that the USB otg host is slow, I'm interested. Has anyone worked out the (actual) USB bandwidth?
Not sure about details but I think the slowness has something to do either with disabled DMA or too small packets allowed or something like that. Hopefully it is SW issue (maybe even improved/fixed in recent linux-omap).

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Where's the cheapest place to get one of these in the UK?
Don't know about UK but one option is http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4838 , not sure how good the price is.

EDIT: Forget it, they are now selling different product under same SKU, it was SiS but had no DVI previously and looked different.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-10-17 at 19:41.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by asys3 View Post
Not a idea, but I heard and I'm quite sure that it's true, that the Hildon apps are hardwired to :0 and can not be redirected from extern :-(
Yes, I discovered it when I tried to run the rss reader and display it on my laptop while the tablet screen was broken, it turns out that none of the osso- apps respect the DISPLAY variable.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Yes, I discovered it when I tried to run the rss reader and display it on my laptop while the tablet screen was broken, it turns out that none of the osso- apps respect the DISPLAY variable.
does it use the local named pipes, in which case could you do a really nasty hack and rename the files so that the external display took their place?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
It may be that this is because maemo-launcher thing used by default in Nokia applications. This speed hack shortens startup time by having already pre-initialized process which just forks and runs user code instead of going through GTK (and perhaps also X) initilalization at startup time. Same trick is used in KDE via kdeinit.

This may mean that even renaming X unix socket may not make any difference since maemo-launcher has the old one already open.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Any way to force a restart of maemo-launcher without rebooting the tablet or causing other serious harm? Would it take down all the apps that it launched with it?

I am new to the tablet world and am trying to use my tablet as a pc/laptop. I have remote desktop, a usb mouse and a usb keyboard working. I have purchased the USB to VGA adapter and tried the step in the link mentioned above for v.03 (Graham Cobbs's post #16 - http://xsisusb.garage.maemo.org/).

Can somone please help. Thanks.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cambridge, England
Thanks, Graham, for this excellent development .

I've been lurking around this thread for some time, and I have the USB2VGA2 adapter working nicely .

My interest is in making PowerPoint presentations with the N810, and I have been somewhat diverted getting qole's Easy-Debian and pipeline's DBus-Switchboard working smoothly - now achieved (with thanks to those two fine artists ).

from Graham: There are still several additional tasks which we really need to complete including ... further researching the Powerpoint display options to be able to have good quality and high speed both at the same time!
I have found a nice PowerPoint plug-in called PPTools ImageExport. This allows you to specify the quality and size of jpg that you want, and lets you name the images ready for sisusb-slideshow.sh (Slide1.jpg, Slide2.jpg, etc) and save them to a directory. It costs USD 30.00, but it's great to be able to produce the hi-res jpgs directly from PowerPoint .

I've also been playing with hardware and power options, and I'll post these separately.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cambridge, England
From jolouis: Startech also makes a complete docking station solution ... since the thing has it's own power source it's also going to eliminate the need for a powered hub ... it would be an awesome one USB cable solution to a lot of needs.
I've obtained one of the StarTech USBVGADOCK devices, and it's really nice . It works well on a PC, but sisusb doesn't find it on the N810.

I'm not a USB expert. Graham - do you know how I can talk to it (on the tablet or the PC) to find out how it identifies itself? Then perhaps you could tell me if I can modify something in your stuff to see it?