Active Topics

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
It's me again.

Considering the plethora of information related to this device on this forum and the web, I, for the life of me, cannot find solutions to some of the problems I encounter. I'm like a strange problem magnet.

I am encountering very slow write speeds from pc to the N810 via USB.

(External SDHC = Kingston 8GB Class 4 microsdhc w/ mini adapter)

Write speed via USB:

Vista64 -> N810 Internal Card: ~500KB/s
XPSP3 -> N810 Internal Card: ~500KB/s
Vista64 -> N810 External Card: ~500KB/s
XPSP3 -> N810 External Card: ~500KB/s

But also, I put the external card into my (new) pc's card reader, and it wrote at about 500KB/s, so I would assume it was a bad card, if not for the fact that it writes at the same speed as the internal card.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks.

///EDIT: is there anyway to see write speeds within Maemo?

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-04-21 at 01:29.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I also have a 8GB microSD kingston I use via an adapter, I get about 1-1.5MB/sec sustained on it (and the internal card, too) when going through n810-usb cable, and ~17MB/sec when going through it's own tiny USB adapter. If you don't have anything crucial on it, I'd say reformat in the card reader on your desktop, and try it out then. If the speed is the same, that would rule out the NIT. If it fixes it, you likely had a corrupted filesystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I also have a 8GB microSD kingston I use via an adapter, I get about 1-1.5MB/sec sustained on it (and the internal card, too) when going through n810-usb cable, and ~17MB/sec when going through it's own tiny USB adapter. If you don't have anything crucial on it, I'd say reformat in the card reader on your desktop, and try it out then. If the speed is the same, that would rule out the NIT. If it fixes it, you likely had a corrupted filesystem.
I formatted it right out of the gate. I read a thread on here (not sure where) where someone said it should be formatted to a cluster size of 2048, so I did that. Then I saw how slow it was, and reformatted it to 'card defaults' which was 4096.... still slow. i also formatted it thru the N810 once just for ish's & giggles.

how does maemo determine what cluster size to format it at... there werent any options... is there a "right" and "wrong" cluster size? the 2048 thing didn't seem to help.

Let it be noted that I havent actually written to this card thru the NIT, this all came up while trying to transfe music from my windoze pc.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-04-21 at 02:01.

well i just plugged my psp into the same usb port im usin for this, and got ~2MB/s write... so I should format the card... again :-/

///EDIT (rather than posting again)

could power supply have anything to do with it? the pc has a 330v psu and i just noticed that when i was accessing the n810, my usb-wifi card seemed to get less bandwidth... weird right? i'm downloading 64bit ubuntu right now, see if i can do something thru that... (64bit ubuntu should have better support for my 64bit vista pc, right?)

~slightly frustrated~
jay

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-04-21 at 02:43.

It must be a windoze thang, I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, got trasnfer speeds of 4.5-6.2MB/s!!!!

YAY

So, the lesson that should be taken away from all of this is that while windoze is much easier to use and is prettier, it is still always f'ing something up.

much love
~jay

Vista does have the file copying/moving slow speed problem (though SP1 was suppose to fix it). Though when my laptop is in Vista (I dualboot it) I've noticed slow file copying speeds as well and I have the SP1 patch.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...