Active Topics

Highlighting from previous posts:

Speach recognition
Better PIM (Contacts & calender) w/ easier syncing
Abiword
Improved External Video Support

Overall the platform (H/W & S/W) needs more refinement than new innovations, but I'll never turn down a new trick or two.

Bring on an iPod App Store-like interface for the maemo.org downloads, that would be both cool and useful, and more importantly it's doable and people want to do it.

Another one I think would be interesting is centralised error reporting, like Windows does. Or at least some more interaction with the user to let them know what's gone wrong, and give them ideas as to how to fix it (remove that applet!, etc.

Both of these would be applicable for the current tablets and future ones I should add.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, app manager is getting a interface cleanup of sorts...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
iirc, app manager is getting a interface cleanup of sorts...
By whom? mvo's merged a couple of my patches, and one or two of qwerty12's. There's been discussion about an improved UI - but at the moment we're only taking baby steps (and it's a little unclear as to whether Nokia's doing anything big behind closed doors)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Bring on an iPod App Store-like interface for the maemo.org downloads, that would be both cool and useful, and more importantly it's doable and people want to do it.

Another one I think would be interesting is centralised error reporting, like Windows does. Or at least some more interaction with the user to let them know what's gone wrong, and give them ideas as to how to fix it (remove that applet!, etc.

Both of these would be applicable for the current tablets and future ones I should add.

As long as the Application Manager and the Ovi Store interface are made of the same components (visually) so that user experience translates nicely to both, and then branding is able to take over where crappy apps might dissuade some.

If there was a reporting feature built into the OviStore/App Manager that would directly contact the developer thru their registered OviStore/OviPublish email/SMS address, this would be a lot easier for users. Add in the UX requirement that applications in Maemo 5 should have the ability to send an error report automatically when a device is connected, and you have a quick and easy way to address this.

---

I still think that in light of the move to finger gestures, that the IT needs standarized gesture-inputs. That aspect of UI would go a great deal towards keeping styli-folks happy while making the device simple enough for iPod-folks to get in and see the flexibility of the platform.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
most seems to be quite happy with mcalendar or gpe calendar+emring, both enabling calendar sync vs google.
Thanks, I'll look into those. I didn't consider them before due to lack of outlook sync, but I've since climbed on the google bandwagon and ported info there.

Voice recognition would be incredible, even if it was a paid upgrade. I don't know the efficiency to date or what is a reasonable expectation based on current processor (including N270 in new netbooks).

Timed recording from radio should be achievable from programming, I don't know if there is a hardware limitation here. For future hardware HD radio, but not a significant concern.

As far as hardware upgrades, I'd have preferred some modular ability. Hopefully with some kind of 'standard' interface similar to the 'PC card' or more likely SD card. I would have since swapped out the camera for an IR transmitter to serve as a remote (someone else may want a 3d barcode scanner). I almost bought a SD card with GPS for my N800, but the location was wrong and the card wouldn't work with the hinge open. They eye-fi SD card would be redundant, but might be good for backup purposes, aside from their dismal performance reviews.

Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
Timed recording from radio should be achievable from programming, I don't know if there is a hardware limitation here. For future hardware HD radio, but not a significant concern.
suggest the feature to the maintainer of boafm

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Check voice recognition off the list. Requires connection to the intertubes.
Call your Google Voice, leave a message, get it e-mailed to your device, cut and paste.

"Real" offline voice recognition would be nice, but as mentioned would be limited by processor. By shunting the tough work to google's servers... not so much of a limitation. Makes me wonder what other processor heavy apps could share the load elsewhere. Everything comes to mind invoves video, and with my experience with VNC that still wouldn't work out right.

ah yes, cloud services. the last variant of remote access time shared computing...

i think a company is even working on doing games that way...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
My N800 is finally set up to do pretty much what I expected from it when I first purchased it, however...

The number 1 thing that hasn't been done yet for the current tablets, IMHO is...

A means to lock the dang applets in place on the "Home" screen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: