I just wish the n900 was forsale already !!!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by computerfreek View Post
I just wish the n900 was forsale already !!!
Not I. The OS isn't ready for primetime yet. Not by a longshot.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I think QGil actually mentioned something similar in a thread some time ago. While it should be fairly easily done as a generic application, within it's own reference system (as a 'window'), it might not be that easy to link it with actual coordinates - e.g. point at a planet or star and see the relevant star map/info. The N900 lacks a compass you have on your list, AFAIK and that makes establishing reference points hard, especially if you're not moving.
Interesting about the compass. I just assumed that it would include something similar as the N97 has this functionality and it seems that there is a lot of crossover between the two devices. I would guess that the compass would be included as part of a multi-function chip.

Without a compass (magnometer), I agree, this proposition is next to impossible to pull off convincingly. In fact, everything on the list is required for a seamless AR experience.

However, I suppose we'll have to wait before determining the final aspects of the hardware!

As for a AR system. It would be REALLY GOOD if someone made a comprehensive API layer on top of QT with this functionality. It would empower designers to include this type of AR functionality without having to design it ground-up every time!

YARR!
}:^)~
Donkey korrupt

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Sounds interesting, though you'd probably need to do starmap recognition to know which way you're pointing (azimuth should be ok from the accelerometers, but depending on which way the compass is orientated (and assuming it has one) it might not work properly when held up like that).

In any case it sounds doable and pretty cool (assuming the camera is able to see at least some stars tpo do the direction matching, which depends on its internals)

There's already a star map app isn't there? I wonder how hard it would be to hack heading and azimuth input into (from compass, accelerometer, starmap watching, etc.) that....

Anyway, cool idea
Thanks!

I completely agree! The starmap proposes many issues especially in light of hardware quirks.

Another issue with the stargazing app, is that when zoomed in, small movements of the device will result in HUGE movements across the sky. Still, I think it could be pulled off in a novel and educational way, with a clever enough interface!

As per my previous post. I would hope that it would be implemented as an API rather than an all inclusive app, as the uses are potentially far reaching!

Keep the ideas comin!

YARR!
}:^)~
Corrupt, eh?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Doesn't GPS functionality automatically imply compass capability? (well, a compass capability that requires GPS signal, not like a literal internal compass)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Interesting about the compass. I just assumed that it would include something similar as the N97 has this functionality
Until we see some specs, it's anybody's guess. It might very well be inertial compass (e.g. gets an estimate from GPS while moving, and then if no movement or GPS signal is presents, just adds accelerometer data to guess the heading). Unfortunately that compass drifts and isn't very accurate - might be enough for walking and general directions but not 'real' navigation. But let's not speculate

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Doesn't GPS functionality automatically imply compass capability? (well, a compass capability that requires GPS signal, not like a literal internal compass)
Not directly. If you're moving, you can cheat and use the position difference to guess north/south. If you don't want to cheat, you can, in theory, make some guesses based on the visibility/signal properties of the satellites. That, however is very-very low resolution (not to mention unreliable). For applications as suggested above you would need a FAR more accurate compass.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Not I. The OS isn't ready for primetime yet. Not by a longshot.
You're basing this on, what, your extensive experience with internal Fremantle builds?

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Only if you're moving, and only assuming the signal isn't bouncing 100s of feet in every direction. A digital compass will give you that information even when you're stationary, and even with a weak fix.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Until we see some specs, it's anybody's guess. It might very well be inertial compass
Run across an N97 manual excerpt by chance - the calibration process hints a magnetometer powered compass. Now, the question is just if anybody ran across anything compass-related in fremantle ?

Now, the question is just if anybody ran across anything compass-related in fremantle ?
No, I haven't seen or heard anything.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist