Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
With the stylus keyboard, I can see and type at the same time. So the same idea still holds, I can operate the thing like a desktop browser. For example, I can look at what I am replying to while I type and make sure my response is on-topic.
The same can be done with a hardware keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I don't want a mother ****ing hardware keyboard!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
I don't want a mother ****ing hardware keyboard!
Not with those fingers.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't have a, uh, regular (or working) lifestyle. I get to spend lots of time in bed and a decent amount of time traveling, lightly.

Traveling -- How cool is it to have a Skype phone in a foreign country. A navigation device with a street map of some strange city and a GPS that can show me just where I'm walking around. A web browser (and email). A translating dictionary. Lots of movies for the airplane. A big collection of books I can carry on a 2-gram SD card and read in a great eBook reader. Podcasts and music I can download and stream without a computer. And all of it in about 200 grams! Heck, on the road it's the best alarm clock, too.

In bed -- I like lying on my back, slightly propped up, in my oh-so-comfortable bed, browsing the web, answering emails, listening to podcasts, and reading. I have a small subnotebook -- ThinkPad X-series -- but it's entirely the wrong form factor for lying in bed. A netbook would be no better. Give me a little N800, none of that sliding keyboard stuff, and a stylus, and I can browse, read, click and type all day!

It occurs to me that I could do almost all the above on an iPod Touch instead of a NIT. But I'd immensely miss the screen size and resolution for reading and movies and properly viewing webpages. And I'd miss the flexibility of removable SD cards and the option of using a bluetooth keyboard when I travel.

And then there's this forum, which is a sort of anarcho-utopian geekfest, where I can piss away time arguing with General Antilles, get my dumb questions answered by the likes of 16-year-old Qwerty12, have my wishes fulfilled by people like Bundyo and BrentDC, find brotherhood with lm2, and make believe I can advise Nokia as to how it should run its business!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
@GeraldKo

Thanks for the post, my brutha. It needed to be said. I've unhealthily incorporated these devices into my life. They work for me even while I sleep. The stylus is king. And when combined with the d-pad, Diablo and other spells, potions and electronic paraphernalia, my portable computing needs are routinely satisfied.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Well, ever since I got notice, I've been trying to figure out what to do. Here's some screen shots of my on-going Python migration. Next step is the xterm.py/kb.py proof-of-concept wedding.
You are aware that Nokia has an open source stylus keyboard that may be easier to start your work with, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You are aware that Nokia has an open source stylus keyboard that may be easier to start your work with, right?
Interesting.
Is it also usable in a normal X11 application? Or Qt application?

Originally Posted by free View Post
Or Qt application?
For Qt, at least, Qt-Maemo solves this.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Ok but X11?

And with qt-maemo probably still needs hildon running, osd or something independent of underlying gdk.

What I mean is a sw keyboard available in say, openbox WM. WOuld probably be coupled with the touchscreen driver?
dreaammmiiing
Otherwise, I will need a keyboard for the future tablet

To explain further:
When porting a tcl/tk application for example: there was a good chess linux app but without a proper sw keyboard that was not fun..