Poll: Can you use this release of Mer, on a daily basis?
Poll Options
Can you use this release of Mer, on a daily basis?

I've been following the discussions of Mer for a while now, and with this latest version I decided to jump in and install it on my n810.

I got to the initial boot where it prompts for user, password, hostname etc. After that it hangs on the boot splash image. The white bar that crawls across the bottom reaches the full width, then... nothing. I let the tablet sit for fully an hour or more before I pulled the battery and boot back into Diablo.

Tried reformatting my card, then reinstalling Mer. Same results.

It sounds like most people had no problems installing and running this. Any clues?

thanks

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I have the same problem but with 770. No clues.

The same happened to me when testing Mer 0.11 in my 770.
The problem was the swap partition. The original swap partition I had in my MMC working perfectly in Maemo, was detected but it didn't work.
I deleted, recreated and initialized the swap partition using GParted in my Ubuntu box and, don't ask me why, but then Mer started to work perfectly.
Hope it helps.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Hmm, then why would the swap partition will have any effect if I disable it?

Probably because it doesn't work in the 770 without swap.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Great job, Mer Team! While I voted "no", I would like to qualify it. I have been using Mer 0.12 for the last two and half days, and it is useable, but there are still some pretty glaring bugs, and some missing functionality. I would say it's at the point where extended use for testing purposes is reasonable, and it works well enough that I haven't had to boot into Maemo yet. I'm really impressed with the progress. The main thing I noticed is that it isn't fleshed out yet; what there is works well, for the most part, but it doesn't feel like a full OS yet. (I'm not criticizing, just voicing my opinion of its present state.) I think Mer shows a lot of promise, and with the entire Ubuntu repos available, and some annoyances from Maemo gone, my N810 will be a lot more useful to me.
Good things I noticed:
-Midori can handle full AJAX webapps (e.g. Google Maps is useable, if still a bit slow - microB almost dies trying to run that!)
-Battery life is acceptable (I haven't run any tests, and I think it might be a bit below Maemo's, but run time is quite good. (I always keep an external battery pack with an extra charge in it on the back of my belt anyway, though :P))
-Net Mer UI makes much better use of screen resources, as was planned
-The Blueman BT manager is full-featured, and generally awesome (I award 5 Internets to whoever decided to include that!)
Not so good thing(s) I noticed:
-The On-screen Keyboard does not hide itself when the N810's hardware keyboard is extended

All-in-all, a great release, and much further ahead than I had anticipated. Keep it up, and I'll keep testing!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by MSchievelbein View Post
4) easy-deb-chroot gave me an error 'unable to install' but then when I looked, it appeared to have installed both easy-deb-chroot and easy-chroot packages.
You're trying to install an chroot in a system that already allows you to install most (barring GNOME) applications available for Ubuntu?

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Canada
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
1. Click the dialog or press Esc (the Back Button)

2. Control-panel item would be nice, but here's a workaround: Goto xterminal, type sudo nano /usr/bin/start-hildon, scroll to the end and remove line, that says something like "maemo-invoker blahblah /usr/bin/hildon-input-mehod"

3. Jaunty software are appearing in the Menu for me
Right on for all three counts. Thank you. I had forgotten back doubled as escape and after a reboot items were listed in the menu.

I installed the mer 0.12 on my n770,but it is very slowly.Almost impossible to use.Is there any way to help tu use it ?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Vote: Not usable on a daily basis.

Besides the issue of HIldon shutting down and rendering the device useless; the taskbar area throws me off in that items just don't stay put.

I'll look at it again in a few days when I'm less emotional it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:

Tags
day-to-day, mer, release, usable