Active Topics

Notices

Any news on the new repository urls? Directions are working for me, but maps are not.

I just picked up a new Holux GPSlim240 receiver and can't wait to see mapper in action.

Thanks.

BULL

When I got my bluetooth gps receiver a few months ago, I had maemo mapper connect to it directly (not using bluetooth plugin). I have a GPT-600 which uses the "sirf star iii" chipset. Every time I turn on my gps receiver and then run maemo mapper and want to connect, I have to "enable gps" and then disable it and then re-enable. The first time I connect to it, maemo mapper finds the gps receiver and then says, "establishing gps fix" but the progress bar never goes past 0% even though I can tell from my gps receiver's lights that it eventually gets a fix. I have to tell mapper to disconnect/reconnect to the receiver, but then it works as expected.
After playing with it some more, it seems more like a bug in my gps receiver's firmware. If I put it in a faraday cage (this is the technical term for a tin of cookies my mom sent me for xmas), so it loses its fix, and then restart mapper, take it out of the tin and quickly tell mapper to connect (before it's gotten a fix), it works as expected. So it's not that there's a bug in maemo mapper connecting to a gps receiver that hasn't yet got a fix yet or anything like that, it would seem to be that my gps receiver won't correctly say that it's got a fix for the first connection after it gets powered on.

Anyone else experience this problem?

SIRF GPSes have a SIRF mode which is not compatible with NMEA, which is what Maemo Mapper relies on. You can issue a command to change it from SIRF to NMEA and vice versa using SIRFTool on Windows (other equivalents exist for other platforms, I'm sure) --- this is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might confuse Maemo Mapper in such a fashion.

Do you see anything on the extended GPS info page?

Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
SIRF GPSes have a SIRF mode which is not compatible with NMEA, which is what Maemo Mapper relies on. You can issue a command to change it from SIRF to NMEA and vice versa using SIRFTool on Windows (other equivalents exist for other platforms, I'm sure) --- this is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might confuse Maemo Mapper in such a fashion.

Do you see anything on the extended GPS info page?
I think you might be right. The first time I connect after power on, it says nothing at all in the "details..." popup. As if it weren't connected to an NMEA source. I'll go check for a sirftool for linux, as I don't have access to a windows machine.

has anyone got mapper on the n800 yet? i'm getting problems with a missing libbluetooth1 (which i've not been able to find in a bora repository yet)

Originally Posted by alexjlee View Post
has anyone got mapper on the n800 yet? i'm getting problems with a missing libbluetooth1 (which i've not been able to find in a bora repository yet)
Wow, I didn't do anything special with bluetooth; I was using the standard libraries. I wonder if this means that pretty much any OS 2006 app that uses bluetooth will not work on OS 2007 without recompiling...

I'll try and get an OS 2007 release out soon, but without an n800 (which I won't be buying), I don't know how soon that will be... It might be easier to find a deb with libbluetooth1, assuming it isn't incompatible with what maemo 3.0 uses (libbluetooth2?).

i did a 'apt-cache pkgnames |grep tooth'
and got back

libbluetooth-dev
libbluetooth2-dev
libbluetooth2

so i guess i'm out of luck?
I looked around the bora repository a little and found only bluetooth2 stuff.

I'm wondering if you can just link the files to the old library name. If you have an xterm window and do a "ls -lag /usr/lib/libblue*" what is the output?

i get a
/usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.2 -> libbluetooth.so.2.4.1
/usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.2.4.1

so i guess you mean create a new softlink for libbluetooth.so.1 ? (or is it just libbluetooth.so?)

well, just a wild *** guess since I don't know exactly what the code is looking for, but you could try

ln -s /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.2.4.1 /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.1.0.25
ln -s /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.2.4.1 /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.1

These are the libaries on my 770 and I use Maemo Mapper.