Active Topics

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I can’t see this ‘leak’ being true.

After all this is supposed to be the new Internet Tablet. The screen size of an IT or MID is in the range of 4.5” to 6” - ok give or take a bit, it is not cast in stone. Bigger is a UMPC and smaller is a smart phone.

A screen size of 3.5” puts it in the Palm Treo, iPhone, HTC, etc. category.

This is not an Internet Tablet, at least as I would understand the term.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
After all this is supposed to be the new Internet Tablet.
Not really. We have been promised a Maemo-based device, not necessarily a tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
IF this is true, I am very, very disappointed indeed. That is a phone, not the next gen IT.

the screen size of the N8x is great for video on the plane/train, reading books etc. this is an iphone spec.

IF this is true, this is defintely one N770/N800 user that will NOT be buying the next gen, with greaty, great disapointment after waiting this long and not going down the iphone route.

I will probably look at a cheap 810 and mer for the next year or so and hope someone else picks up the ahead of its time and now seemingly ended IT form...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
In fact, iirc, they explicitly stated that they wouldn't use the term 'internet tablet' any more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
So who is this device targeted at?
After a little thought. The only way it (having voice and 3.5" screen) makes sense with the N97 so close in launch is if this is a transitional device. The reason could be that on super-high end phones (like the N97 is for Nokia) you can't experiment. If it sucks, it damages the whole generation devices and even the brand itself. Hence, make a shadow N97-with-maemo device and experiment with Maemo telephony in public. If this chimera device works out, the next Nseries generation can move to a Maemo derivate (which would be the final, fifth generation) without fear of user acceptance. This strategy is only valid is there IS another device in the queue, as Rover is not more a N810 replacement than the N97 is.

Ahh. Nothing like the smell of fresh speculation in the morning

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Also a few points for the previous posters:

- The current battery is 1500mAh, so it's still there, with the smaller screen it's roughly on-par with the current generation battery-wise

- Guessing about the two circles. You guys don't have a N800 do you ? The N810 already has two circles in the same exact spot - the webcam and the ambient light sensor.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Wow!

...and if I want to use it with my service provider I might have to sacrifice 20% of that 3.5" screen to an advertisement?

These recent leaks are killing me

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-25 at 12:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
If it's a phone - I can live with that.

If it has a smaller screen than the N800/810 - I can live with that too, so long as it is a phone.

We all, perhaps naively, believed that the Maemo 5 lead device would be a tablet-like device with similar large screen and data only via HSPA. We have also seen comments from Nokia that they are readying Maemo 5 for primetime. Tablets do not sell in the numbers that phones do. For Maemo 5 to go primetime, it probably has to be launched on a phone platform first. Then all the hype around the awesome OS and apps will allow them to throw their second punch - a tablet-like device with the same hardware, and data connection via HSPA (no cellular voice). If the leaked information is correct, this is how I hope the Maemo 5 based devices play out after the phone's launch.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
One crucial point they must do is announce (even if not ship) all devices at once. Otherwise people will just play wait-and-see hoping the other devices are what they're looking for damaging sales for both. If I had no previous Maemo devices, I'd probably buy Rover, but as I do, the Rover is not for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Heh... that looks like an intentional leak...
And I think it was very sweet of Nokia to leak these specs at this time. Like qgil in Texrat's thread, Nokia saw how we were turning on one another without any new horrible design mistakes to complain about (in these wonderful devices we love so much, and defend so ferociously), understood the problem, and fed us exactly what we needed.

Nokia truly loves the maemo.org community!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile