Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I love it! I will pick one up at launch (if these specs are accurate). Although there may be 'shortcomings' (to some... I love the specs) there appear to be no complete deficiencies of features.

As Atilla77 stated, a transition device, and IMO a great one.

The size and features make it a much more consumer-friendly device, which is probably why it's ticking off the community: it does not appeal to a market that seems far too small to economically support this product line. But the OSS component and the increased specs will still appeal to the original NIT community which I suspect will come to love this new device, and/or be replaced by a hoard that do.

This seems to be playing out very much how the N810 release played out. Most of the community were up in arms over the N810 release and the decisions Nokia made. Now, despite its arguable shortcomings, it would seem that the majority of individuals here actually prefer the N810 (myself included).

I foresee something similar with the N900.

As an aside....

If this picture is an acurate representation of the final device, take a note of where the headphone port is. It would seem that the 'kick-stand' is either missing or has changed. I'm guessing that it's a ring around camera lens.

YARR!
}:^)~
Captinicas Corrupteos

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2009-05-25 at 12:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
- The current battery is 1500mAh, so it's still there, with the smaller screen it's roughly on-par with the current generation battery-wise
Screen itself does not consume that much power, but backlight does (whether it is LED or the traditional backlight). Thus, somewhat smaller screen size will not affect power consumption.

- Guessing about the two circles. You guys don't have a N800 do you ? The N810 already has two circles in the same exact spot - the webcam and the ambient light sensor.
Yes, it is most likely a small webcam + sensor. Not much weirdness there.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Nokia saw how we were turning on one another without any new horrible design mistakes to complain about (in these wonderful devices we love so much, and defend so ferociously), understood the problem, and fed us exactly what we needed. Nokia truly loves the maemo.org community!
Let us pray now and then make a <preferably bloody> sacrifice! =)

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Screen itself does not consume that much power, but backlight does (whether it is LED or the traditional backlight). Thus, somewhat smaller screen size will not affect power consumption.
Only if you pump the same amount of light into a smaller screen, making it brighter. Or, I suppose, if you backlight the bezel instead of just the screen. But neither of those seem particularly likely; even if the maximum backlight power is maintained, the adaptive brightness would leave it turned down farther except in conditions calling for full brightness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
I hope this item is successful as a phone -- and then that success is leveraged to strengthen the maemo/ IT/ open source concept to corporate sales and whatever other inside resistance those ideas have been meeting, (if any), because frankly, seeing this, I think the amazing sales of the iphone have perhaps been influential and pulled the idea away from where the 770 and N8x0 were headed.

As specs and concepts have been released recently, I have to admit my N800 has been looking better and better every day...

One crucial point they must do is announce (even if not ship) all devices at once. Otherwise people will just play wait-and-see hoping the other devices are what they're looking for damaging sales for both. If I had no previous Maemo devices, I'd probably buy Rover, but as I do, the Rover is not for me.

This is key for me, personally. I want maemo, Nokia and the entire concept around open source ITs to succeed but I don't see how this is an improvement over what I currently use the N800 for, (of course it will "perform" better, but it won't add many more useful functions/ usability over my N800).

A smaller screen is a big disappointment to me which a TV and usb vga out could mitigate some, but what I really want seems closer to the N800 I already have.

I would be annoyed to buy what I think is the highest end model, only to find out that it's been obsoleted (to me personally) by a new model more suited to current use, which could very easily happen if what I see in RX-51/N900 specs is true.

Joe

Edit: on the plus side, I no longer have a lust for a new device.

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-05-25 at 13:34.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Not sure I follow. A smaller screen reqires less power to illuminate to the same level. So you either need less backlight/LEDs or you can run them at a lower level to have equal brightness to a larger screen. 3.5" vs 4.1" should be in the range of 30% difference in area, which is a considerable power factor.

Not sure I follow. A smaller screen reqires less power to illuminate to the same level. So you either need less backlight/LEDs or you can run them at a lower level to have equal brightness to a larger screen. 3.5" vs 4.1" should be in the range of 30% difference in area, which is a considerable power factor.
3.5" will require about the same amount of backlighting as 4.1", so do not expect much change there.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
3.5" will require about the same amount of backlighting as 4.1", so do not expect much change there.
Care to elaborate why ? We're talking amount of emitted light per area here. While 0.6" does not sound like much, area grows with a square, so it's really 12.25*const vs 16.81*const, which is...(calculator tapping) ~37% more.

I for one would welcome a 3.5" screen, if it means that the rest of the device is also smaller accordingly. Hopefully it really turns out the be a full phone, but I seem to remember that it was mentioned repeatedly by Nokia people that the next Maemo device would be data-only, so unless Nokia has changed its mind I very much doubt that part of the rumor.

Also, I think it's a bit weird that anybody really expected full-sized SD slots. Apart from cameras, no handheld device uses normal SD cards anymore, unsurprisingly. microSD is the way forward, if you ask me.

And remember: even if this rumor turns out to be true, it's only one Maemo device, while apparently at least two are coming up - RX51 and RX71...

Edit: interestingly, somebody I'd call very reliable just mentioned that the hardware specs in that MobileCrunch post were "pretty much spot on"...hmmm...

Last edited by chlettn; 2009-05-25 at 14:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
...it was mentioned repeatedly by Nokia people that the next Maemo device would be data-only...
Nokia has thus far only officially announced data, and, when asked about voice, has repeatedly pointed out that they've only announced data. I've not seen or heard any actual denial of voice support in Maemo 5.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile