Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Care to elaborate why ? We're talking amount of emitted light per area here. While 0.6" does not sound like much, area grows with a square, so it's really 12.25*const vs 16.81*const, which is...(calculator tapping) ~37% more.
This difference is negligible with respect to the total power consumption by the device. Let us assume that backlighting is done by 4x60mW (4x3Vx20mA) LEDs i.e. they consume 240mW. Let the device consume total of 2.5W (that is how much N810 draws when running at full speed, if I remember ITT posts correctly).

Now, with the smaller screen you will only need 240W*0.63=151mW or 90mW less. The total power draw by the device will go down by (90mW/2500mW)*100%=3.6%.

By comparison, the battery capacity is going down by (180/1500)*100%=12%.

Of course, the above numbers are all estimates, but they are not that far off from the real numbers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Why in f*ck's name is the screen smaller?

Last edited by mullf; 2009-05-25 at 14:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Why in f*cks name is the screen smaller?
Because the buttons are now touch-friendly bigger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
GPS? Accelerometer? Bluetooth? FM? ...? Voice ? :P
Update: A few comments inquired about GPS. Our source has since verified that the N900 does indeed have GPS, along with an accelerometer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
We have been promised a Maemo-based device, not necessarily a tablet.
In fact, iirc, they explicitly stated that they wouldn't use the term 'internet tablet' any more.
Thank you for the corrections and clarifications.

I thought an Internet Tablet is what we are all waiting on? There is a 159 page 1,581 posts thread called “What would you realistically like to see in the N900?” How many times was there a request for a 3.5” screen?

I only come here because it used be an Internet Tablet Talk forum. It looks like things have moved on.

Personally speaking if I want to discuss mobile phones I shall go to Howard Forums or somesuch.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Now, with the smaller screen you will only need 240W*0.63=151mW or 90mW less. The total power draw by the device will go down by (90mW/2500mW)*100%=3.6%.
Ah, we have a miscommunication in terms. I wouldn't call 3.6% such a bad deal in a worst case scenario (as we don't have our precessors pegged to 100% all the time ). With fbreader type power usage you're possibly even going to last longer as you're evening out the 12% at about a 750mW average, which is not something unheard of.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Because the buttons are now touch-friendly bigger
If you are referring to on-screen buttons that are bigger, which I think you are, that is pure genius. Bigger buttons, smaller screen. I can't believe I didn't think of it first!

If you are referring to the keyboard buttons, you will recall, I don't even want a hardware keyboard. But anyway, if the keyboard buttons are bigger, wouldn't that make the screen bigger, too, since the keyboard slides underneath the screen?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Ah, we have a miscommunication in terms. I wouldn't call 3.6% such a bad deal in a worst case scenario (as we don't have our precessors pegged to 100% all the time ). With fbreader type power usage you're possibly even going to last longer as you're evening out the 12% at about a 750mW average, which is not something unheard of.
Yea, that would be roughly equal to the loss in battery capacity. On the other hand, I am somewhat sceptical about needing 4x60mW LEDs for such small screens. Just chose a safe overestimate.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
If you are referring to on-screen buttons that are bigger, which I think you are, that is pure genius. Bigger buttons, smaller screen. I can't believe I didn't think of it first!
Yep "pure genius"

As far as I can see the n900 is a 5mm thicker IPhone which is because of the keyboard. Not bad a trade off I'd say.
http://sizeasy.com/page/size_compari...N900-vs-iphone

I'm on the fence right now... I'd have to hold it in my hand to see if it's going to work for me. I kinda like it, but we'll see what the other devices will be...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway, but the screen size is the clincher.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile