Active Topics

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
If this leaked picture is actually of the tablet:

Then I really question the decision to shrink the display, as it looks like the current sized screen could still fit (based on the amount of space between the screen and the edge of the device).

http://www.cellpassion.com/news/2009...et-tablet.aspx

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to switchfiend For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That's likely true. I can only say that I am the opposite. I do not like full screen. I do not use full screen. I do not like or use any app that insists upon being full screen.

Full screen gets in the way of quickly bouncing between applications.
May be this is off topic... but that exactly is what the switcher hardware key is for. Why duplicate it when you can do it easily with your thumb?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post

Then I really question the decision to shrink the display, as it looks like the current sized screen could still fit (based on the amount of space between the screen and the edge of the device).

http://www.cellpassion.com/news/2009...et-tablet.aspx
Looks like it is still running maemo 4!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Based on the recentness of the Maemo 5 beta release, I'd have to assume that the folks working on the hardware for the next tablet were using Maemo 4 for at least a good portion of the development of it.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
To me, it's not a surprise. If they're launching on T-mobile USA, they must have EDGE, because T-mo's 3G coverage is still rather limited; even if they were going for AT&T, EDGE would still be likely. That means, in practice, a GSM-capable radio. What wasn't known was whether initial software would support it, and if not, whether devices shipped with voiceless software would be upgradeable yo voice in the future.
Check this for your city:

http://www.tmonews.com/2009/05/more-3g-more-3g/

T-mo is using Nokia's remote manageable base stations and are evidently timing their first T-Mo US 3G cellphone to the network buildout.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
One of the best draws of Maemo is emulation. Without a dpad, its going to be almost impossible (aka iPhone). Goodbye n900...

Don't want to read all 20 pages of speculation.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
...I do not like full screen. I do not use full screen. ...

Full screen gets in the way of quickly bouncing between applications.
Just curious: what do you use the Tablet for?

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
I actually like the N900 screen size. I was waiting for the release on N97 to replace my N95 and now I will wait instead for this N900 to replace the N95.

Today I use very little my N800, as it is too big for my pocket (I have small pockets) and the screen a bit too small to browse the net (i use my 7" tablet most of the time, it is comfortable enough to fully replace the pc).

Most smart devices in the market have the screen either 3.5" or 7" (or bigger).
I believe Nokia will later release a 7" tablet with Maemo. It would complement this N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post

what kind of a keyboard is this? why would they do that?!?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
what kind of a keyboard is this? why would they do that?!?
To me that keyboard looks like a slightly more cramped version of the N97 keyboard (the layout is the same, but the buttons are just smushed together).

As I've heard nothing but disappointment about typing on the N97, I don't find that comforting; although to be frank, I found the keyboard on the N810 to be unuseable (which was one of the main reasons I got rid of it after a few weeks and went back to my N800).

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile