Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
Clarification appreciated, but I did happen to know that.

I just said it is not maemo... and it is not _by_ Nokia.
Ahhh... and now you enter the realm of confusion resulting from the singular OS and the broader community having the same name.

,,,but with differing capitalization!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ahhh... and now you enter the realm of confusion resulting from the singular OS and the broader community having the same name.

,,,but with differing capitalization!
I still say the website should be MaemoCommunity.org. Better yet, this forum should still be ITT and not associated with this phone.org.

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I was thinking rename it mermo.org...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
i think you have nailed the point. ... with palm trying to get the jump on the next iphone nokia had to try to get the jump on both so as to keep in the news cycle.. now there will be news story comparisons between the palm/iphone/&nokia which will get the buzz up and hopefully drive sales

obviously the 900# gorilla is apple and the iphone and everyone is trying to catch up

i do not hold out much hope for palm or nokia

anybody wanna buy a used n810?
It looks like neither will be for me. It'll be Android + tethering to my n800 (running Mer in the future). And if it's indifference that Nokia feels towards us then I'm more then happy to direct people who ask me about my tablet away from Nokia.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by aikon800 View Post
It seems to me that the only reason Nokia allegedly / un-allgedly released this information of the N900 is to compete with the next gen iPhone which might be due in July according to several rumors and leaked specs. Knowing that the N97 might come short for competing with the next gen iphone, pre etc, they released this(N900?). A Nokia "Move" to stay in the game. The internet tablet in not that important yet so now. So they will patiently release the real tablet when they have fully compromised with The Maemo community.
Ya know, you might be on to something.

Some of us were looking at this as competing with the iPhone and the Pre in the N. American market and we were not very optimistic regarding those prospects.

Perhaps the intent is not so much to gain N. American market share. Its intro into this market now may help prevent or reduce erosion of world market share by the iPhone and the Pre later on...

Weaken them here and now over a market Nokia does not have a significant share in or, fight one of them later when they are much stronger over a share of a market Nokia is already established in.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It doesn't look like they have [removed copy-paste], according to this maemo-developers post
Is Claudio Saavedra (at igalia.com) a Nokia employee who has used the new device(s)?

Or a dev suggesting something that works on the current hardware and at the time could have reasonably been assumed to work on new hardware?

If the second case, then Claudio could be wrong about there being arrow keys.
Text selection would be in addition to the other things crippled by a lack of arrow keys of course - I even have a hard time imagining how to do basic text entry/editing on such a device... I change things around and change wording paragraphs back all the time whenever I write anything. (and the lack of stylus would make click-to-position-the-cursor unusable)

I really hope we are all just missing something. I repeat my request for clarification on the matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to davidgro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It looks like neither will be for me. It'll be Android + tethering to my n800 (running Mer in the future).
Unfortunately the only "tethering" that Android does right now is USB based, and only works with Windows clients. (I put that in quotes because it's not real tethering, it's a sort of specialized proxy program)

(unless you're doing something special via rooting, but I don't count that)

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Wow, what a thread.

Some thoughts I haven't seen contributed so far, although I admit to skimming the 52 (!) pages.

I read books on my Treo 700p, quite happily. My kids watch videos on it as well, quite happily.

Someone needs to tell Amazon that the iphone/itouch is too small to be an ebook reader before they release a reader for it and it becomes wildly popular (oops, too late).

And also mention to Apple that watching movies on a small screen (ipod video, iphone/itouch) is not worthwhile. Again, too late.

I'm not saying that I would prefer a smaller screen (I love my N810) but I also don't think that a smaller screen is useless.

Frank

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
As for being locked, after some period (3 months? 6? 9?) you can get your phone unlocked, as well. Assuming you don't find an unlockng service that can do it sooner.
I'm pretty sure the policy is 90 days, although I understand it's quite common for them to unlock it at practically any age if you ask nicely. But I'll be surprised if you can't buy it unlocked straight from Nokia.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Actually, this is probably the reason for keeping the 800x480 resolution, even though it makes little sense on a little screen.
People keep saying this, and yet dozens of JDM phones have 800x480 or higher on 3.5" or lower screens. It must make some sense to them...

Originally Posted by totololo View Post
AM I THE ONLY ONE TO THINK THAT THIS PICTURE IS A FAKE ?
The picture is either out-of-date, a fake, or both. Everyone knows that, right?
In this case, everybody here would be whining for ... nothing ...
No, the original leak and accompanying sketch, from mobilecrunch, are definitely plausible, and given the responses by in-the-know people, one would have to be in serious denial not to credit it.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
As long as there is a tablet, I am happy.

I wonder what kind of damage to Nokia would have happened if instead of explaining to us why we really do want a small screen someone from Nokia (qgil, peter@maemo, etc.) said "there will be a tablet".
Nothing major. Just that Apple would then know the rumor-pieces about a 4.2" tablet before Christmas were true, and would do what it takes to get its perpetually rumored iPad/iTablet/iWhatever launched before then, to steal Nokia's marketshare. Is it likely that Apple is working on that, would currently launch after Nokia's new entry, but would beat it if given this statement? Not very likely, no. Possible, and harmful enough to make up for its low probability? I think so.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by davidgro View Post
Is Claudio Saavedra (at igalia.com) a Nokia employee who has used the new device(s)?

Or a dev suggesting something that works on the current hardware and at the time could have reasonably been assumed to work on new hardware?
Igalia are (among other things) co-developing modest and writing the Hildon Human Interface Guidelines. It would be reasonable to assume that Nokia isn't keeping them in the dark and has provided the necessary info required in order to do these jobs (available controls etc), if not actual devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile