Ive had tons of problems trying to boot from my 8gb sdhc memory card. I finally thought i got it to work but its not booting off my flash card its booting off the 2gb internal memory (which is only showing up as 1.39gb). and now when i try to go to my memory card in the file manager it says it is corrupt or needs to be formatted, when i try reparing it it says the file manager is unable to repair it.

What should i do? SHould i just reflash to stock os, format internal mem card and external card and start over for the 10th time?

Last edited by arekieh; 2009-05-27 at 22:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to arekieh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
What does
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
from console say ? Also, the output of

Code:
fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk1
might be helpful (careful with fdisk, that's a lowercase -L). You might be simply having a card that is formatted to a different filesystem than expected (i.e. ext2 instead of fat) and that's why the utils think it's broken or unrepairable.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-05-27 at 09:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
i got fed up and formatted both last night but i think ur right. WHen i was installing the stuff at the end. the

Code:
./nupgrade.sh
command always formatted stuff in ext2.

i have a couple questions though when im partitioning my card, should any notification come up after i type the
Code:
umount /media/mmc1
umount /media/mmc2
commands?

also, when im doing the
Code:
mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
command what should it say?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
i got fed up and formatted both last night but i think ur right. WHen i was installing the stuff at the end. the

Code:
./nupgrade.sh
command always formatted stuff in ext2.
By default, that is what it does. If you take a more careful look at http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card, you'll see that nupgrade.sh accetps arguments. you can for example run
Code:
 ./nupgrade.sh 0 ext3
and it will format it to ext3. It is also, if I'm not mistaken, written to clone the OS to the second partition of the internal memory card (/dev/mmcblk0p2), which is why the tutorial in the wiki asks you to create your partitions in the internal memory card and in that order. You can, of course, fiddle with the script to match your needs, which I don't recommend. Keep it simple, man. Keep it simple. Just switch the slots on your memory cards, put the 8gb one on the internal slot and repeat the process.
i have a couple questions though when im partitioning my card, should any notification come up after i type the
Code:
umount /media/mmc1
umount /media/mmc2
commands?
if nothing comes up, both commands were successful. Sometimes one of the comands will yield an error, usually because there is no memory card inserted.
also, when im doing the
Code:
mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
command what should it say?
A bunch of ############################ and a number if I'm not mistaken.

One question, though: why would you like to install the cloned OS to the external slot? Isn't it easier to install it to the internal slot and keep the external as an easily-swapped memory card? Remember you won't be able to remove the memory card while running your cloned OS (for obvious reasons).

Hope I've helped,

Bobbe

The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbe For This Useful Post:
Thanks alot, im gonna reinstall in a couple hours. Really appreciate the help.

I was wonder if 2gb is enough for all the apps and stuff?

More than enough, actually. The biggest apps for Maemo are games like Beneath A Steel Sky, and that takes like 75mb. I got 750mb for mine and still got half of it free. I guess that if I installed half the repo I would still have free space.

I love how enthusiastic you feel about installing 2gb worth of software tho. However, you might need this space a lot more for pics/videos/documents/etc.

Good luck with re-cloning!

Bob

Thanks alot , so if i want 1gb how many cylinders do i put? Its defaulted at 15000 (500mb right?) so is it linear? like would i just put 30000 cylinders for ~960mb?

Pics/videos can be on the external card though cant they?

Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
Pics/videos can be on the external card though cant they?
Of course

Thanks alot , so if i want 1gb how many cylinders do i put? Its defaulted at 15000 (500mb right?) so is it linear? like would i just put 30000 cylinders for ~960mb?
I don't putting it in cylinders, so when I run sfdisk I run it like this:

Code:
sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM
That way you can inform it in Megabytes, not cylinders. Just remember that the numbers, when prompted by sfdisk, should be informed in this order

Code:
starting_megabyte,size,partition_type
I kept informing it like starting_megabyte ending_megabyte partition_type, which of course wouldn't work. It just sounded more rational to me =)

Good luck with the process!

awesome. thanks alot. Cleared it all up for me

The Following User Says Thank You to arekieh For This Useful Post:
Glad I could help