Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
It'll be like a flea on an elephant!!! At the time of writing this there were nearly 500 posts. Hardly enough to bring Nokia to their knees begging for forgiveness. They will barely notice us. Peter, Quim will, and doubtless feel sympathy, but I seriously doubt that they have enough influence to make a difference.
You might be surprised how much people in Nokia are reading your comments. Many people more that do not put their comments to talk.maemo.org (maybe, we should call it t.m.o. after all... For example, our manager that it responsible for bringing the next Maemo device to the market globally is listening and interpreting what you say. So, does the director in product management responsible for the next device.

Naturally, we don't make product decision in a instant's notice. It takes a good amount of time from concept to product shipment. And the influence of Maemo Software will actually grow starting from 1st of June when we will become Maemo Devices, when our hardware, software and product integration folks are joined to one unit being able to work together even better and faster.

Whether the business of investing to devices such as pure tablets is attractive enough to keep an organization such as Maemo running is naturally business confidential. But you might have seen that organizations such as UIQ that built an UI on Symbian based devices for Motorola and SonyEriccson was not sustainable. And they had some 400 people to build on top of existing Symbian. They pretty much all got the pink slip in the beginning of the year. We are building Maemo on open source but we do need a decent amount of folks to crunch out attractive devices. Gotta make money to pay those salaries.

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
For the "tablet" issue, at least relating to display sizes (then again, even from this thread it's quite obvious that there is no consensus over what actually constitutes a "tablet"):
Well i beg to differ.

There is a huge majority here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=alleged+n900

wanting a large screen, d-pad and may be a stylus which actually constitute as far as nokia is concerned a tablet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
1) Is this device a capacitive display (more friendly for finger touch) like iPhone or is a resistive display (more nail and stylus friendly) like 5800 XM and N97?
Has Nokia ever used a capacitive touch screen? I don't know of any and I wouldn't be surprised if the RX-51 will have a resistive touch screen ever for finger usage.

Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
2) Is this device multi-touch?
Most likely not. See the G1. The hardware could do multitouch but the OS has this feature locked because Apple is furiously fighting anyone selling devices with multitouch.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
For those who still hope to fiddle with openoffice.org, I have prepared a comparison of the mockups of the oowriter screen, as displayed by the n810 versus the... err... thing

It's attached in openoffice.org draw format, zip-compressed. To have a correct feeling of dimensions, you have to print the file yourself, otherwise your computer screen won't show the pics the right way unless you fiddle with zooming.

I'm not so upset now, I can live with that, even if I'm presbyops. Only need a new set of glasess and a stylus, a thin one
Attached Files
File Type: zip 810-900 comparison.odg.zip (46.6 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-05-27 at 06:59. Reason: forgot stylus

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by pycage View Post

Multitouch?
Most likely not. See the G1. The hardware could do multitouch but the OS has this feature locked because Apple is furiously fighting anyone selling devices with multitouch.
I would be careful about such assumptions. After all this is all biz and Apple and Nokia do play ball (in comparison to some Chinese vendors). Obviously, the iPhone 3G has 3G. And you need access to the 3G IPRs for that. And who is owning a lot of IPRs for 3G? Let's see...would that be Qualcomm and Nokia? Yes.
Nokia is not preventing Apple to use 3G, so why would Apple prevent Nokia from multitouch? It's all biz.

Last edited by Peter@Maemo Marketing; 2009-05-27 at 07:11.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Naturally, we don't make product decision in a instant's notice. It takes a good amount of time from concept to product shipment. And the influence of Maemo Software will actually grow starting from 1st of June when we will become Maemo Devices, when our hardware, software and product integration folks are joined to one unit being able to work together even better and faster.
That actually sounds quite promising -- I'm not sure that I'll necessarily get devices I like more that way, as I'm totally unclear which internal departments are more on "my side" of the various debates, but at least it should be more efficient and unified. Hopefully that enables more devices, and that in turn should mean new devices more often, if nothing else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Do I seem to be one of the only people who is genuinely excited about the new maemo phone?
I've never seen anyone else with a N7xx/N8xx and everyone I have spoken to and shown my tablets have all said that it is a shame that it isn't a phone otherwise they would definitely buy one.
So if these specs are true then I know of about ten people who will probably buy one
I may miss a decent size screen as this is what really set it apart from the iphone for internet usage for me, but if there is wider take up of maemo, then I am more than happy as long as the device is still functional.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
Not a real improvement over the N810.

....It seems that many devices with GSM module in it are *much* more expensive than without it. E.g. iPod Touch $300, iPhone $600, same hardware with just a GSM chip in it.
So with this new Maemo phone (N97 bastard-brother)
are we looking at the du-rigor mobile-telephony pricing scheme?
Should we plan on paying 799$ for unlocked
or 399$ for a contract + phone?

.....If that is the case, and if someone in the know doesn't 'accidentally' reveal SOMETHING about a larger screen, extended UI Maemo5 model, then count me out of this sick little leak game, cause we've been here on "ITT" too long to be bamboozled and nuanced into a bunch of potential phone-switching townies....

dcarter

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Unfortunately the only "tethering" that Android does right now is USB based, and only works with Windows clients. (I put that in quotes because it's not real tethering, it's a sort of specialized proxy program)

(unless you're doing something special via rooting, but I don't count that)
There's Proxoid, which provides a proxy for tethering. It works on any system where you can run adb from the SDK, and this includes Linux.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
So with this new Maemo phone (N97 bastard-brother)
are we looking at the du-rigor mobile-telephony pricing scheme?
Should we plan on paying 799$ for unlocked
or 399$ for a contract + phone?
I'm not in the know of course but recent msrp prices on unlocked smartphones from Nokia have been dropping. The price will probably be closer to $399 to $699 unlocked and $99 to $299 on contract.

http://www.nokiausa.com/buy-online

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile