Active Topics

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Being someone interested in SmartQ5 and who would run Mer on it, what is the hardware feature support status?

Sorry, I think thats been answered recently but I lost it in the noise.

As a slightly different spin on that: Would it be possible to have a table on the mer wiki showing what features are supported per platform, both hardware and software? Two examples, 1) OpenGL ES support is mentioned in random places, does Mer support that, and 2) the previous question about Flash.

The SmartQ5 tempts me quite a bit hardware wise and I'll be willing to help with Mer to get it to where I want software wise.
Wifi is working (not for me, I have a faulty device).

I don't know if anyone used bluetooth, since it is connected to USB, so you need to change to host mode in order to use it. It should work, though, as it is simply a USB bluetooth device, and Linux supports those.

The CPU has video acceleration, and it is supported. It can play a 4000Kb/s encoded 768x576 resolution divx video at full speed.

The CPU has 2D/3D acceleration support, and the details needed to write a driver are available, but no one wrote a driver yet. This I plan to do, but it will probably take a long time.

Of course, LCD, touch, audio, buttons, SD, etc. are working.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Some good news:

We will get 10 developer rebates of 33 USD through a distributor in Singapore, so it will be possible to get a Q5 for 99 USD.

There will be more information later but the rebates will be assigned based on 10 best proposals dedicated to improve Mer with focus on SmartQ5/7 usage and your estimated skill in fulfilling the proposal.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
stskeeps, how do we submit a proposal ?
Not sure my PM has been activated on this site yet

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I do not completely agree. I believe that even with the same resolution, the larger screen will allow for using smaller fonts, and thus be more suitable than then Q5/NITs at home.
I can confirm that. I used a 7" pre-netbook (Kohjinsha SA1) in parallel to my tablets for a while, and I could display considerably more information at a time on the larger screen, especially in the browser, although resolution was the same.

PS: which is why I'm none too enthusiastic about the even smaller screen in the leaked "N900" specs...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
fpp ... Same idea for me ...

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Hi,

I have just received a Q5 and a Q7 from China. I have managed to get Mer running on the Q5 with no trouble using the excellent instructions (thanks) and I have got a WAP wireless network running too. I Also got QT embedded running so things are shaping up well as that is part of my final goal.

I am somewhat confused about the bluetooth though. Is it built in or is it via a usb dongle? All of the blurb implies it is built in but I cannot find it - it seems odd as it is even mentioned on the side of the box - (Bluetooth) V2.0 + EDR - Do the brackets mean it is supported but not supplied?

The Q5 only has a Mini B USB connector - I have never seen a bluetooth dongle with a mini B connector? (does such a thing exist? - Google failed me on that one!)

The Q7 (which I have not really played with much at all yet) comes with a type A blue tooth dongle (it has a type A socket as well as a type B) but there was nothing like that in the Q5 Box.

It seems odd that they would make a point of promoting bluetooth on the Q5 if there is no practical way of using it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by aerod; 2009-05-28 at 16:50. Reason: fix a typo

The Following User Says Thank You to aerod For This Useful Post:
Question to Mer on Q5 users about hardware keys.

How do you think the hardware keys should be configured?

Lets call the Q5 keys (in order): Power, Minus, Menu, Plus.

My current configuration is:

Power is the same as in N800/N810
Menu is Shift
Minus is F8 (Zoom out).
Plus is F7 (Zoom in).
Menu+Minus is F4 (Menu in Mer)
Menu+Plus is F6 (full screen in Mer).

Can you think of a better configuration? What are the most important hardware keys in your opinion?

The Q5 has an internal USB bluetooth device. In order to use it you need to switch USB to host mode, which also switches the mini-b connection, so you can't have bluetooth and connect to a PC at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't try that, as my device has faulty wifi hardware. I don't know if anyone tried it in Mer yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Thanks, I'll look into that and let you know

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

How do you think the hardware keys should be configured?

Lets call the Q5 keys (in order): Power, Minus, Menu, Plus.

My current configuration is:

Menu is Shift
Minus is F8 (Zoom out).
Plus is F7 (Zoom in).
Menu+Plus is F6 (full screen in Mer).

Can you think of a better configuration? What are the most important hardware keys in your opinion?
I think Menu should be full screen (since it is in the same position as the fullscreen key on N800), and then Menu+Plus should be Shift so:

Menu is F6 (full screen in Mer)
Minus is F8 (Zoom out)
Plus is F7 (Zoom in)
Menu+Plus is Shift

Come to think of it, I think we should call the Q5 keys (in order): Power, Minus, Fullscreen, Plus

like on the N800

Last edited by SD69; 2009-05-28 at 18:36.

Tags
parting of the red sea